Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Hard Drive Installation?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 doorman111

doorman111

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:53 PM

I have tried to install a newHDD in my Toshiba Satellite, the old one was just too small (10GB), the new ones I have are 20-40GB and are Ide/ATA 5400,
when I install them, they are not recognized in the bios, I put the old one back in, and it works fine. Do I have to set something differant in the bios, or cmos to make the Hdd's recognizable?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:49 PM

Some BIOSes provide for automatic recognition/configuration of changed drives...some BIOSes do not. Newer ones probably do auto, many older ones could do auto if instructed to do so.

For those that do not, there are usually instructions at the main screen (the one showing all hard drives, the time, all optical drives connected...and certains specs of each) of the BIOS telling how to redetect all drives. These are usually in the lower right portion of that BIOS screen.

Once the BIOS properly detects/recognizes them, you must save those settings by hitting F10 when you are ready to leave the BIOS and reboot the system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 31 July 2008 - 05:50 PM.

#3 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:34 PM

It is possible that you might need to flash the bios of the laptop. Check out Toshiba's website and see if there are any bios updates for the laptop that you have.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

Have you formatted the drive?

Edited to delete brain fart. :thumbsup:

Edited by dc3, 31 July 2008 - 11:24 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:13 PM

Actually...I think the BIOS recognizes it whether it's formatted or not.

It's Windows that won't recognize it until it's formatted/useable. Disk Management will see it, but My Computer and Explorer will not.

Louis

#6 doorman111

doorman111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:11 PM

Thanx to all - after not believing the HDD's were not being recognized,I checked the plug in configuration. I neglected to install the pin adapter on the new Hdd's. The one I removed had the adapter on it. This is the 1st Toshiba that I have worked on that has a differant "plug " on the HDD. What is this adapter called?? thanx again - D3

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:41 PM

If you would tell us the manufacturer and model # for your hard drive, we would all know exactly what you are talking about.

Take a look at the writing on the drive....and no, we don't want the serial number for that particular drive :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 doorman111

doorman111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:18 PM

Standard toshiba ide laptop drive, the adapter/converter just fits over the pins and converts to fit the newer satellite plug

Edited by doorman111, 02 August 2008 - 07:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users