Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wierd Behaviour-no Viruse Found-am I Infected?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cwbeas1

cwbeas1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:10 PM

My Dell with XP Home SP2 has been really wierd for quite some time.
Windows update has been on for a long time, and the only thing slated to update is top SP3 which I am putting off til I get it fixed.
I have Zone Alarm free firewall installed, and run Spybot & Ad Aware frequently. I have AVG Free antivirus on all the time.
Run Kaspersky online from time to time.
Problems started with computer seeming to freeze-taking long time when I would initiate a "save to" or "copy to" folder procedure; the computer would hang for a minute or two before the folder structure was visible to choose a folder to save or copy to.
I tried with indexing on an off-seemed to make no difference. I have had a few blue screens.
I have had trouble waking the computer up from standy-often have to shut down and restart.
for a few days recently I have had several error reports such as "wuauclt.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience," but wuauclt is not always the process listedseveral other .exe's have been listed.
I have taken several steps to sort this out to no avail. Ran Check Disk: removed unused files,programs, defrag; run sfc /scannow,
updated and ran spybot, adaware,nothing but a few tracking cookies found and removed;
updated and ran AVG free command line scanner all in safe mode-nothing found.)
run Kaspersky online scanner (in safe mode with networking)-nothing found;
ran DSS. I have the kaspersky and DSS (includes HiJack This report) reports ready to post if so advised.

Thanks for any help.
Charles

Edited by cwbeas1, 31 July 2008 - 03:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:49 PM

Try updating your video driver, as a corrupt video driver is often the cause of standby problems.

How to update a Windows hardware driver
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 cwbeas1

cwbeas1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:45 PM

Budapest-thanks for the tip. I reinstalled the video driver as you suggested and things seem to be more stable after 24 hours.
Keeping my fingers crossed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users