Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Custom Motherboard Combo For System

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DanDaMan

DanDaMan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:52 PM

Hi all. Last week my computer took a dump on me, so I finally have to break down and busy a new system. The one that died was purchased back in 2005 so I donít really mind having to upgrade but I want to try and get something a little better quality this time.

A friend of mine recommended looking into a new motherboard combo so I can save money on some parts. I was checking around and found a combo that looks good that has several configuration options. This is the combo I am looking at.

http://www.cpusolutions.com/8004744cpu/cus...sp?kc=ASUSMBC25

I was going to look into going with two, 2gb memory sticks so I can have 4gb total, but I have heard that Windows won't show the full 4gb if you do this? I was told that a 64bit OS would correct this issue, but does anyone know if that is the case? I don't want to have to upgrade my OS too, because I like Windows XP and don't want to switch that yet.

Any advice or feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by DanDaMan, 31 July 2008 - 02:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:25 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Well...to begin with, that board only has two memory slots, although each will take a 2GB DIMM. Which means that you probably have to buy two new RAM modules and won't be able to use previous modules...unless they are 2GB each. That's if you really want 4GB of RAM.

Fortunately, it uses DDR2 RAM, which is inexpensive (last time I checked)...so buying new RAM should not be an issue.

What you have heard is somewhat true about Windows not reflecting the full 4GB. Example: I currently have 4GB installed in my other desktop (XP SP3 32-bit), with 3.37GB recognized as useable by XP when it finishes booting. I do have onboard video so I suspect that accounts for some.

Motherboard data/specs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...82E16813131249R

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103251

All I can say at this point is: Don't buy whatever you get...from that particular vendor :flowers:.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:29 PM

A 32-bit Windows operating system will recognize up to 4GB of RAM, but will not show the total amount because of the draw from critical functions such as the system BIOS, motherboard resources, memory mapped I/O, AGP, PCI, PCI-E, and other memory allocations for PCI devices.

Different onboard devices and different add-on cards (devices) will result in different total memory size. This means that the more PCI cards installed will require more memory resources, resulting of less memory free for other

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 DanDaMan

DanDaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:04 AM

Gotcha, so do you think itís worth upgrading to a 64bit OS, or does it not make a noticeable difference if the whole 4gb isnít addressed by the system? So since the add in cards are using up memory is it best to just use the NIC and audio on the board itself, and only go with a video card?

I was looking at going with this company because they are only 1 day shipping from me, and their reseller ratings and reviews all looked great online. Is there a specific reason?

The more I have been looking at the combo, I am starting to think I may actually do a barebones system. I figure for the extra money it would be worth getting new drives and a better power supply. No point in doing it halfway since Iím already in need of an upgrade. Thanks guys.

#5 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:47 AM

Louis was pointing out that newegg gets it to you for about 80 bucks cheaper. Altho the open box thing is a gamble, most likely its good, but newegg won't RMA open box items. Nobody beats newegg dude. On price, very rarely, but in customer service...never. The one time i got a dead video card from newegg, not only did they not give me any problems whatsoever in returning it, but they sent a prepaid UPS label to send it back to them. If time was the issue you can always pay a little more to ship it other than the standard 3 day UPS ground. Every time i've ordered from newegg they've had it processed and shipped same day, most times within a couple of hours. Even the order i put in Saturday morning lol

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:45 AM

There's not a great advantage to a 64bit OS on a board that can only support 4GB of RAM. The portion of the upper 1GB that is occupied by hardware and virtual memory addresses cannot be utilised for RAM addresses by either 32 or 64 bit OS. If the board is capable of relocating the top 1GB above the 4GB barrier, it will be available to a 64bit OS, but I think you should be looking for a board that can support at least 8GB if you want to make provision for future utilisation of a 64bit OS.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users