Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Put In New Lithium Battery/ Now Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Agent_99x

Agent_99x

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:30 PM

I'm posing for my Mom's computer system. This is what she has done so far to it.
I have Windows XP Professional Verison. It's a HP System. I put in a new Fan Motor and a new Lithium Battery and now it will not boot. It powers on and freezes up. Though if I turn it off and unplug then pop battery out and then put the same battery back in it will boot up to the setup screen. If I tell it to reset it's settings, it then will fully boot up and I can do whatever I want on my system. All my info is there and data. Now it will run until I shut it down. But after a shut down or restart it will not come back up. I even tried a new battery from the store thinking maybe the battery I got was bad or something. I appreciate any help anyone could give me. I'm loosing my mind. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:41 PM

In the BIOS, are you resetting the date and time? When leaving the BIOS, do not forget to click "Exit and Save"
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Agent_99x

Agent_99x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:10 PM

yep... reset the date and time then saved and exited... even tried doing it without changing anything. Only thing I do different is pop that battery then it will load.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:17 PM

System model?

Louis

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:45 PM

Are you sure you got the exact same battery? + side up?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Agent_99x

Agent_99x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:50 PM

I gave my mom a call. She said Yes! Exact same battery with the plus side up. No doubt there. It will go to the HP Invent screen which has a blue background and freeze up if the battery is not popped out then reinserted. She said it's almost acting like it doesn't know where to go.
As far as the system model she said it's HP Pavillion. She's going to get back to me but she's pretty sure it's 621. I'll post as soon as I know for sure.
Thank you so much for trying to help us out on this.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

Well...it seems to me that removing the battery...is just another way of loading the default CMOS settings in the BIOS.

Why that should have to happen with each boot...in order for a successful boot into Windows...is beyond me.

Perhaps the boot options are set up wrong...just a guess.

FWIW: I have noticed on one of my boards that the default boot settings...usually result in a non-bootable system where the options are my installed SATA drives, my installed Highpoint controller drives, and floppy disk. I have not made either of these bootable so the BIOS just sits there with various error messages when going into a loop. Of course, this would not apply to a system without SATA drives and a PCI controller.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 August 2008 - 07:39 PM.

#8 Agent_99x

Agent_99x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:00 AM

Honestly, we are not very computer savy. We know the basics but really need a walkthrough on things to try out on the system. I pretty much figured out the BIOS screen is the one with all the system info that we can change. (blue with tabs on top)
this is all it's info
HP Pavilion 700 home PC
Battery # CR2032
System # P7478A
Model 761n

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:05 AM

Sorry, I should have explained a bit more :thumbsup:.

Take a look at the following links:

How to get into your computer's BIOS - http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-...enter-BIOS.html

Howstuffworks How BIOS Works - http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bios.htm/printable

The screen reflected in the second link...is what I consider the main BIOS screen. At the top are several tabs. I believe that the boot options would be listed under the tab marked Boot :flowers:.

There is no set boot screen pattern that I've noticed, so your BIOS screens may not be set up as the one depicted. But it should be close enough to figure out.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaq...ocname=bph07110

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users