- Can't install some cleaning tools (spybot, malwarebytes anti-malware). Open item results in nothing happening.
- Can't update cleaning tools (trend micro, avg, adaware, super antispyware).
- Can get to some websites eg. google, and can search for stuff. But if you click on a security related result, you get sent to pcprivacycleaner website. Other sites end up with a "Internet explorer cannot display the webpage" page.
- Can't run Kaspersky online.
- Desktop wallpaper is blue with "Warning! Your pc is infected with spyware!" or something like that.
- Desktop and Screensaver tabs are missing in Display Properties.
- When screensaver activates, you get a fake blue screen error and reboot animation. You have to press Esc to get back to what you were doing.
- Notepad doesn't work unless in safe mode. In normal mode, DEP activates and closes it down.
Things I've tried so far:
- Scanned with AVG, Trend, adaware, super antispyware, even though I can't update them.
- Run CCleaner.
- Tried running a portable version of Spybot, but nothing happens.
- Reset IE7
- Checked network settings
- disabled firewalls
- Currently running portable Avast (overnight).
- Out of curiosity, checked that Combofix won't run but Vundofix will (didn't let it do anything though)
- DSS won't let me save logs in normal mode cos notepad doesn't work. It probably will in safe mode, but it says to not do it unless someone tells me to.
- Disabled/deleted anything obvious in startup items using msconfig and Hijackthis (log to be attached).
- Checked all the same symptoms in safe mode.
Help requested please!