Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected With Trojan Viruses

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 slave

slave

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:46 AM

Hi, my computer is infected with several Trojan viruses. Our Trend Micro PCillan antivirus protection was on, but somehow got through. I tried to "clean" and "delete" these but the buttons for this would not light up. My desktop had nothing on it and I couldn't click on anything. I turned the computer off (couldn't even shut down properly). When I restarted it the desktop kept flashing on and off and still couldn't click on anything. I turned the computer off again and this time hit the F10 button to do a system recovery. The system recovery went through fine, but when it tried to start the computer back up again I got a black screen. The keyboard and the mouse would not light up and they didn't work. My husband informed me this morning that there was a virus. He said last night some icons came up on the desktop and he had no idea where they came from. He also noticed that none of the icons for microsoft were on the desktop. (Ex: the my computer icon was gone). As of now I cannot get anything to come up on the screen to do anything. Just a black screen. I am currently using my laptop to access the internet to get on here. Please help and tell me what to do. Is my computer fried and need to buy a new one? My computer information is below. Thanks
slave

I am not sure what all computer information you need so I will put all of it down.
Operating system: Windows XP Home
CPU: HP Pavilion a824n (about 4 years old)
Modem: 530J Intel Pentium4 w/Hyper
1.0 GB PC3200
DDR DRAM Memory: 200GB 72200 RPM
Serial ATA hard drive: DVD+/- RW/CD-R
LightScribe Double Layer DVD+/- R/RW Drive w/ CD writer capabilities
Intel Media Graphics Accelerator 900 with up to 128 MP shared
video memory: Processor speed 3.00Ghz, 1MB L2 Cache, 800Mhz Front
9 in 1 memory card reader, high speed USB 2.0 + FireWire port

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,098 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:31 PM

Have you tried using Last Known Good Configuration or System Restore from a command prompt in Safe Mode to return to a previous state before your problems began?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 slave

slave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:20 PM

Hi We just now tried both of your suggestions. It said that Windows file was missing or currupt and to install the Windows CD setup disk again. Should I try to install Windows XP again from the disk? The exact wording for this message is as follows: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM: You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup wsing the orginal Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to repair.

Edited by slave, 31 July 2008 - 03:29 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,098 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:34 PM

See How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting and Registry troubleshooting steps.

There are many reasons why a registry hive may be corrupted. Most likely, the corruption is introduced when the computer is shut down, and you cannot track the cause because the computer is unloading processes and drivers during shutdown. Sometimes, it is difficult to find the cause of registry corruption....A power failure or some other unexpected shutdown event may cause a corrupted registry hive....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822705
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users