Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive & Cdrw Issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Charlie929

Charlie929

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:51 AM

My computer freezes up at startup in the Windows screen. I've run the Western Digital diag which seemed to do something but it's back to it's old tricks again. This is a windows XP home edition. When it freezes, I have to reboot via the reset button as "ctrl/alt/delete"does not function. Then it hangs up when partially through the loading segment of the start up and I have to either reboot via reset or the ctrl/alt/delete function (whichever works at the time) this goes on for about 10-12 times before it runs properly. Is this the hard drive heading south on me? The other issue I have is trying to burn a data backup. I can't write the "my documents" to a disc even after compressing the file. What is the proper way of backing up the data? I'm using a 4.7gb disc and the drive is a CD-RW. I wanted to do a B/U before this goes out for good.

Charlie

Edited by Charlie929, 31 July 2008 - 09:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:19 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Have you tried running chkdsk on your boot partition?

Once the system has booted....Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (there is a space between the k and the /), then hit OK.

A screen will appear, telling you that chkdsk cannot be run now, but that it can be run at next boot. Type Y, hit Enter.

Reboot the system...allow the chkdsk to run to completion. Upon completion the system will reboot automatically.

FWIW: Every time that a user does a hard shutdown on XP, there is a good chance that the result is damaged files. One way of countering this is to enable chkdsk upon the next successful boot.

File Corruption & Its Consequences - http://www.smartcomputing.com/Editorial/ar...3.asp&guid=

In response to your query re backing up: Implementing a backup strategy - http://www.pcug.org.au/boesen/Backups/backups.htm

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 31 July 2008 - 10:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users