Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Question About External Hard Drive Setup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KIDRoach

KIDRoach

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:05 AM

Once again, I turn to the mighty Bleeping Computer :thumbsup:

My friend bought this hard drive not too long ago. Not sure when exactly though. He didn't know much about computers and saw that this hard drive, MyBook World Edition from Western Digital looks cool, with the morse code and all + "easy access anywhere".

What he wanted, in my opinion, was just a simple hard drive that he would be able to use to store his stuff. He doesn't need all those remote access and other fancy additional features. Then again, he's just human. :huh:

So... The Hard Drive is connected to the computer through an ethernet cable/LAN cable. The first time he tried to use it, he inserted the cd that came with it and was prompted to install this "MioNet" software or something of the sort. Then, when he connected the hard drive, he doesn't know where to access it or how to access the drive. I tried to help him last night but after half an hour trying to set it up and browsing through the user manual + internet, I gave up and went to sleep for work today. B)

Anyway, the hard drive is a 750 GB MyBook World Edition and it's been sitting there on his computer table for quite some time without being connected thus, hindering it from being used...

Also, it might also be worth mentioning. There is a USB port on the MyBook casing itself. I read around on the internet. The USB port is for another external hard drive to be hooked up on. I'm guessing the MyBook is acting as a connector so it can connect the other external hard drive as a network drive as well. To think that we thought initially, we had to buy a male to male cable to connect it to the computer.... :)

To summarize, basically, he doesn't need the fancy network connection. However, what he needs is to make it so that the hard drive functions like a normal hard drive, just so it's simple enough for him to use. Is there any way for this to be done?

Anyway, that's quite a long post.... Hope anyone has experience with the software/hardware that you can help us with. :huh:

Thanks!

Roach
If Quizzes were Quizzicles, what are Tests ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:45 AM

Hi KIDRoach.
According to the manual, both the Anywhere Access (mionet) and the Anywhere backup software should be installed.
After a reboot, the drive should then be mapped and available.
If all your friend wanted was a backup drive for a home system, he overkilled. :thumbsup:
A network based drive is not the best solution for this.

Edited by HitSquad, 31 July 2008 - 08:51 AM.

#3 KIDRoach

KIDRoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:13 AM

I just went to his place again. He just told me that he can access the drive. However, it's gonna be a network shared drive instead of a private drive.

What he wants is for his files to be private. :thumbsup: So...

He was thinking of maybe putting a password over the drive but I'm not sure how to do that either.

Also, if it helps, we tried accessing it through a LAN Cable connecting the drive directly to the computer's LAN port. Didn't work it seems. I don't think we can access the drive. I think the only time he could access the drive was when it was connected through the router, and the computer but we didn't test it again since he said he already did. :huh:
If Quizzes were Quizzicles, what are Tests ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users