Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Distro For Web Server

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:19 AM

Hey,

I want to set up a little Linux Web Server so I can test out my code instead of having to keep uploading it to a web server in the big internet cloud above our heads :thumbsup:
So... which Linux Distro do you recommend.
Bear in mind that I'm a newbie in Linux so don't know much Command Line so it would be great if there was a tutorial on how to set up a Linux Web Server using the CLI. Or a Distro with a GUI interface.

pcmaddeanp

Server Room Geek - IT Professionals Community

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 machiner

machiner

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:40 AM

Just install apache on your current distro. Debian is the most widely used Linux distribution for (Ok and Red Hat, too)LAMP -- for a reason.

It's fine to install lighttp,as well, just to test your pages. The simplest way to install it (On debian anyway) is to just install phpmyadmin

# aptitude install phpmyadmin -- OR, fire up Synaptic if you're in a GUI desktop environment if you want.

Everythign you need will be installed along with it. After it's installed, fire up your browser and head to http://127.0.0.1, nothing to it.

If you've got another box laying around I would use that, though. Install Debian with a netinstall disc, ssh into it from another box on your LAN -- no peripherals like a keyboard or monitor needed after the base install -- then install the web server --

On Etch, I might install the following:
# aptitude install mysql-server mysql-client libmysqlclient15-dev
# aptitude install apache2 apache2-doc apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils libexpat1 ssl-cert
# aptitude install libapache2-mod-php5 php5 php5-common php5-curl php5-dev php5-gd php5-idn php-pear php5-imagick php5-mcrypt php5-mysql php5-ps php5-pspell php5-recode php5-xsl

It really is very simple, honest. I wrote a quick and easy howto. You can ignore some of it if you just want to run something locally. I left out a bunch of stuff with respect to security --

Give more information and we'll hook you up.

#3 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 04:07 AM

Thank you very much on a great tutorial!!
And because the tutorial was so good I have digged it!
Just a quick question, why would you use Debian?

pcmaddeanp

#4 machiner

machiner

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:36 AM

;) -- use it for a while and you'll know.

I really can't tell you all the reasons why it's the preferred Linux distro for servers. There are a zillion reasons and some will no doubt start a rediculous flame war as some are subjective. For me, it fits the way I do things, and it's the epitomy of reliability.

It's built as a general purpose Linux distribution meaning that you can turn it into anything that you like. Just use it for a little while and then tell me that you'd go elsewhere. I bet you a nice tall sip of Guiness that after building and running your LAMP on Debian, you'll be another happy Debian user.

Disclaimer, I'm just some guy - not a dev, and NO, I don't work for the Debian project in any capacity. If Debian starts to suck, I'm off to BSD.

Thanks for diggin' that tutorial. but you'll find better out there. For Lenny I'll be writing a more indepth one.

#5 machiner

machiner

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:02 PM

So.....where we at?

#6 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:19 AM

ermmm
I'm sorry to say it but I think I will stick with Ubuntu.

Thanks for your help anyway!

pcmaddeanp

#7 machiner

machiner

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:27 AM

That's too bad, but good luck with that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users