Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading My Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johnlouise

johnlouise

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:18 AM

hi
i try to upgared my antivirus avg 7.5 to avg8. when i accidentally turn off the pc and the nxt time i use it again it wont open up. so i made a system restore. which help me a little but everytime i open my pc its msg "could not initialize AVG antivirus kernel interface, application cannot run.
then my yahoo messenger on the screen disappers instantly. i cant use it. i try to install kaspersky online scanner but cant continue because my avg must be remove first but i try to remove doing the safe mode- msconfig, i try to delete, restart, whetever but still in vain. I dont know if what cause all this.
i search for instructions and i find your procedures very helpful but it seems i cant start any of it unless i can remove my avg so i can scan my pc.
please help me. im not very good in computers but im learning. thank you so much. God bless

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,082 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:21 AM

Win2K/XP/Vista Users
1. Download & save the latest AVG Free installation package from [free.grisoft.com]
2. Run the AVG Free install file
3. Choose the Uninstall option and follow the setup wizard, when you get to the part to remove user settings, select it.
4. Restart your computer then...
5. Now reinstall AVG using the setup file you got in step 1 and update it.

If your OS is Win Vista also have a look @ this Sticky post [forum.grisoft.cz].

Download the install file to your computer... do not ever try to run from the internet as that will always cause issues. We also recommend that you do not run if from a directory with spaces in the name.. such as your Desktop or My Documents folders.

Many users don't disable the other protection programs as they should so they can stop AVG from installing properly.... this can stop AVG from adding in its required startup items. We always recommend temporarily disabling before installing....& restart the computer twice before re-enabling.

AVG Recommended Uninstall/Re-install Instructions

"FAQ Difficulties installing AVG Free Edition"
"624: How to install/uninstall AVG Free Edition components?"
"625: How to uninstall or repair AVG7Free Antivirus"
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 johnlouise

johnlouise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:16 AM

thank you very much for your answer. i did what you told me and read also how to reinstall avg, i follow the instructions and download the avg, save it from my back up and run it afterwards but it says the file corrupt. what can i do next please.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,082 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:53 AM

Contact and advise AVG Tech Support.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif