Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Print To One Printer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bikerbill

bikerbill

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:36 AM

Recently I cannot print to one of two printers attached to our Dell Dimension E510 desktop. Depending on the application in use at the time the message that appears is “Internet Explorer or MS Word has encountered a problem and needs to close”. I installed Service Pack 3 for Windows XP, ran Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool, updated our McAfee Security Suite and ran a scan of the computer, and re-installed the drivers for the printer (an Oki B4250). No viruses or malware was found by the scans. The problem persists. Changing the default printer to our other printer (an HP Deskjet 882C) now allows us to print. But I need to get the Oki back online.

Here are the error signatures I gathered when I tried to print to the Oki:

AppName: iexplore.exe
AppVer: 7.0.6000.16674
ModName: oplk_ui.dll
ModVer: 1.0.6.0
Offset: 00036d0d

AppName: winword.exe
AppVer: 11.0.8215.0
AppStamp: 48000d55
ModName: oplk_ui.dll
ModVer: 1.0.6.0
ModStamp: 407fb7aa
fDebug: 0
Offset: 00036d0d

When I tried to view the properties of the Oki printer in Control Panel I get “Function address 0x68636d0d caused a protection fault (exception code 0xc0000094). Some or all property pages may not be displayed”. And sure enough, no property pages were displayed. I was able to print the printer's stored test page so the printer itself works.

What should I try next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:57 AM

Uninstall the drivers again and reboot the computer and this time, assuming the printer is hooked to the computer via USB, hook the printer up to another USB port on the computer. When you boot back into windows go to the website of OKI and install the most updated drivers for it. Also, try another spare USB cable if you have a spare.

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:01 PM

I found this article in a forum I subscribe to. I know it is for a C5200N but there may be similarities in the situation.

1.) The printer obviously comes with A LOT of software, right? Make sure that you have uninstalled EVERY piece that comes with it including a.) color managment software b.) drivers in the Add/Remove programs list, c.) services that might be running, d.) Device Manager -->View -->Hidden Devices, e.) delete program file folders after removal, f.) scan the registry for major words like Okidata and executable names . . . save them out and delete the data.

2.) The C5200N is Postscript and PCL6 compatible. Try uninstalling the printer and using a standard Postscript printer (color obviously) and see if it is functional. It might not have all of the bells and whistles with the software, but it will be usuable without wiping the hard drive and reinstalling.

3.) I once had a similar problem with an HP printer. It ended up being a file that HP copied to the system32 folder and failed to remove it during the removal process or rewrite it during the reinstallation process. I finally used a program called FILEMON to watch what files were written during the installation process (i.e. start Filemon . . .start installation . . . stop filemon and look at the result). You can sort the rather long list of files by location so that you can look in out of the way places for files that are possible corrupted and not being removed.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/filemon.html

There is a similar program for registry changes called regmon, but you would get copious results and it might not be useful to you. Here is the link anyway, though. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/regmon.html

I hope this helps.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users