Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Permanent Freezing Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fluxx23

fluxx23

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:33 PM

Hi guys, I'm usually working on other peoples computers but I've actually got a problem myself right now that I can't seem to troubleshoot let alone track down.

My problem is this: at any given time, my pc locks up (if music is playing it just loops half second buffers)

There is nothing to do but manually shut it down, it won't respond to anything once it locks up. There is no event recorded in the windows logs. Memory and HDD tests passed without a single error. My video drivers seem to be working well as well as the audio drivers. What could be missing or what could I check to find out some sort of error message?

Thanks ahead of time,
fluxx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:40 PM

Does the computer only lock up when you listen to music? Does it lock up when you surf the web or watch a video?

Try performing a checkdisk repair and see if that helps alleviate your problem. If you installed any softwares recently, uninstall that particular software and see if the problems lies on a software issue. Also check out the task manager and see if anything unusual is running in the background.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:03 AM

Possibly heat-related.

It's one of the few events which leaves no trace of an error message.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 31 July 2008 - 08:05 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:30 AM

I'd suspect the hardware issues as described above - but if that doesn't fix it....

Open up Task Manager and go to the Processes tab.
Wait for it to lock up
See what's gone awry in the Processes tab, that may point the way to an issue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 fluxx23

fluxx23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:25 PM

I'm still working on the issue. I figured it was heat at first as well, but I monitored it for a period and all sensors were relaying normal temps, even at lock up. Been trying to watch for any processes now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users