Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Beeps Through Speakers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lunchkick

lunchkick

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:09 PM

hello.

i think this problem started yesterday or two days ago. so my computer won't stop playing the "Windows XP Ding.wav" noise at very random times. it's the same sound that plays when you click on the volume meter in the task bar. sometimes it will play it a bunch of times in a row, sometimes it'll play it once every few hours. it doesn't seem to be triggered by anything I do, and it plays even when i'm not using my computer. and there are no error messages or anything.

i have run updated scans with ad-aware, spybot, superantispyware, and symantec av, and all they found were a few trackers.

i have a dell inspiron 6400 with windows xp sp3. i have installed and uninstalled a lot of software recently. i went on a rampage uninstalling all the unnecessary software that came packaged with my dell. i don't recall the things i installed. i may have uninstalled them soon after, but i did install a program that i downloaded via bittorrent.

i have noticed while watching the processes that when a beep occurs, "winlogon.exe" momentarily shows up as having cpu activity and then goes right back to zero at the next refresh.

i have checked the event log and nothing shows up that could be the cause of these beeps. someone in another forum suggested that i disable the sound through the control panel or use TweakUI to disable the "beep on errors" option, but i'd rather find out what the error is and what's causing it than silence it.

i've searched far and wide and i can't find any info on what this could be. i can't figure this thing out. please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:46 PM

Got any stuck keys or mouse buttons?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 lunchkick

lunchkick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:17 PM

nope. keyboard and mouse are fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users