Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

defrag fatal error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 albuddy1

albuddy1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:39 PM

HI, I am new and was looking for a remedy for my problem.
When I try to defrag I get a message - Fatal Error File:\\?\Volume {191a5a04-df79-11d4-8a2c-806d6172696f}\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\LOG\
MYBOT.LOG

What does this mean and how can I get rid of the virus??? I have Norton (upto date), Spybot and Ad-Aware (both up to date, unfortunately after I got the virus).
I an using 2000 Pro, and have tried talking to the manufacturer of my computer and they say talk to Microsoft and they say talk to the manufacturer, what a cycle and nobody will help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2005 - 08:06 PM

Hello albuddy1 and welcome to BC.

That seems to be some sort of IRC trojan. Try using WindowsSecurity.com Online Trojan Scanner or you could download and run a-squared Personal or Swat It Trojan Scanner. One of those should clean it up. Make sure you delete the Mybot.log file after cleaning as it can become quite large. Also look in Add/Remove programs in Control Panel and remove any IRC Clients installed.

Do you have a firewall? If not, best get one. It would/should have alerted you to this activity.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:39 AM

Received the following in an email through this forum from albuddy1:

to remove the mybot.log do I just go to find files or do I have to
go into regedit to delete and if so how do I do that?
thanks for the previous answer.

I prefer to keep the discussion in the forum so others can learn from and use the advice given and knowledge gained.

Al:

Actually if you could send me a copy of that log I'd love to see it.

Did one of those scanners work in cleaning the infection? If so, what did they report they found? There is much more to this than just the log file based on the error message you reported.

If you have removed the infection then you can do a find files on the log and delete it. But a much better option is to download and run Ccleaner. It will clean up a lot of unneeded files and clean up your hard drive considerably.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users