Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Design

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gobeze

gobeze

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:10 PM

Hi, I am a starter in web design and face a small problem when trying to code XHTML and CSS.
After code on notepad and save the code. I couldn't see the effect like alignment and coloreffects when refreshing the browser. both IE7 and Mozilla.
Could any one help on this. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:00 PM

There is a difference between refreshing and reloading. Reloading the page just pulls it from the cache. Refreshing the page actually queries the server and loads a copy from there (or vice-versa). You refresh the page by hitting the f5 key, and that works in both Firefox and IE. If you are doing that, and the changes are not visible, then one of two things is happening. You either have an error in your CSS, or you are not changing the code that you are viewing. In the first case, errors with your CSS will cause the CSS to be ignored. Something like using a colon where a semi-colon should be used, or a missing semi-colon will cause this. In the second instance, changing the wrong code will do the same thing. For instance, I will often make a backup copy of my style sheet so that if I goof up, I can restore the backup. Once in a while, I will forget which copy I am working with, and I will make changes to the backup copy instead of the working copy. When I reload the page, the working copy gets reloaded, and not the backup copy. Since I made changes to the backup copy and not the working copy, the changes will not show.

#3 mckooter

mckooter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:46 PM

Once in a while, I will forget which copy I am working with, and I will make changes to the backup copy instead of the working copy. When I reload the page, the working copy gets reloaded, and not the backup copy. Since I made changes to the backup copy and not the working copy, the changes will not show.

such a good point, i fall for this all the time lately
You can just call me Chris

I found out I was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life

#4 jel3

jel3

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:17 PM

I would recomend getting the web developer plugin for firefox. it has a lot of great options in it and on is to turn off cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users