Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Usb Ports Have Quit Working.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tgt2e

tgt2e

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:33 PM

Hi,

My USB ports are not working correctly. I have a Sony Vaio VGN-N250E laptop and I first noticed my problem when I couldn't get my cordless mouse to work. Also, I was trying to charge and sync my Zune and at first it connects but then approximately 5-10 seconds later it loses connection. I was just wondering if this was maybe a driver problem or if I'm gonna have to get someone to actually work on the ports themselves. Any help is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:08 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Did you remove the drivers via Device Manager (for USB)...and allow such to reinstall?

Louis

#3 tgt2e

tgt2e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:45 PM

No i have not. Should I?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:23 AM

Uninstalling and letting the installation wizard install the drivers after you reboot is an option, drivers can become corrupted.

There is a problem with a part of the registry called the Selective Suspend which recognizes when the USB port isn't in use and will remove the voltage to it to conserve on power. Some times when USB devices are plugged and unplugged frequently this feature will not recognize the new device and apply power back to the port. There is one thing you can try, go into the Device Manager and right click the icon of the monitor at the top of the right side pane, and click on Scan for scan for hardware changes.

If this is the problem, and it persists you can disable the Selective Suspend feature in the registry.

Anytime that you make any change in the registry there is the chance that you can damage it resulting rendering Windows inoperable. For this reason we recommend that you back up the registry before making any changes.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERDNT.exe

Disable Selective Suspend

Open the Registry on the affected machine and navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\USB.

Edit or create a DWORD value named DisableSelectiveSuspend and set it to a decimal value of 1.

Reboot the computer.

Edited by dc3, 31 July 2008 - 03:26 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 tgt2e

tgt2e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:57 PM

Alright. I tried checking the selective suspend and it still is not detecting anything. I also updated the driver software for all usb ports and still am not getting any results.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:11 PM

Try removing the drivers for the USB controllers...then rebooting. If you've already done that, my apologies.

Louis

#7 tgt2e

tgt2e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:37 PM

Alright. That seems to have fixed my problems. The Zune is working fine now but I'm still having trouble with the mouse. I'm beginning to think the mouse has just quit working. Thanks for your help!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:41 PM

Feedback appreciated, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:08 PM

Have you replaced the mouse batteries for a while?

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#10 tgt2e

tgt2e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:10 PM

Yeah. It was a fairly cheap cordless mouse and its been over a year since purchased so I'm thinking you get what you pay for and I'm just gonna have to replace it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users