Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Obscure Files Mssip*.dll

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Saras

Saras

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:24 PM

This is not, AFAIK, a problem that exhibits any symptoms. But I haven't tried using the relevant mechanism much either.

I am just trying to find out why HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/WinTrust/SubjectPackages/

references the three nonexistent files mssip1.dll...mssip3.dll

and what relationship these have to the mssip32.dll that is included in Win2K?

Googling mssip1 mssip2 or mssip3 just recover situtations where either the files' nonexistence was logged or was noticed by someone.

Searching MSDN and www.microsoft.com for mssip1 through mssip3 yields no hits.

Given that the relevant value is named $DLL and not DLL, or filename, or something - is it possible that these are dummy files that never did or do exist? That the names are replaced by real files when a particular protocol is installed or invoked?

Can anyone point me to more info on the old files and/or the purpose of these entries? MS has plenty of information on using the functions contained in mssip32.dll, but that process assumes that wintrust manages this reg stuff behind the scenes...

Jest wonderin'...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users