Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lockups When Transfering Large Files Over Network

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Smoothtony

Smoothtony

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:23 PM

I'm having 3 massive problems on my pc that I can't figure out :thumbsup:

First of all the title is a bit misleading, as I actually have three issues and I'm unsure if they are related. The first one below at the moment is the most important. I believe possibly the 2nd and 3rd problems are the result of Klite Codec Pack http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm and maybe a failing DVD Burner.

1. Every time I attempt to transfer large files over my home network to this PC it locks up. The other 5 PCs on my network have 0 problems transferring large files.

2. Intermittently my computer locks up when viewing streaming media on the internet (video or sound). It doesn't happen often but enough to make me think something is up.

3. When I attempt to burn files to a DVD/CD the burn fails the verification check. (Used Nero, ImgBurner, and MagicISO) Previously burns have been no problem.

Could these problems be related to some sort of malware infection? I've checked my system for spyware using Super AntiSpyware and Spybot Search & Destroy and I've checked it for viruses with BitDefender Total Security and Kaspersky (online scan) so far everything is clean. (Currently BitDefender is uninstalled in my attempt to trace a possible conflict) Everything worked fine until May 2008. Below are my system specs and HiJack This log.

Intel Pentium D Socket 775 3.0GHz
2GB Ram (1 Cosair at 533MHz and 1 OCZ at 533MHz) both modules are 3-3-3-9-12
AsRock 4CoreDual-VSTA Motherboard
BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version P1.60
North Bridge VIA PT880 Pro Revision 00
South Bridge VIA VT8237A Revision 00

Attempted to install latest VIA Hyperion drivers but received error "the wizard was interrupted before the via driver setup could complete. Nothing was installed.

Storage:
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller - 0571
Storage Controller SCSI/RAID Host Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive ST380013AS (80 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
Disk Drive WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 (232 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive WDC WD400JB-00ETA0 (37 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive WDC WD800JB-00JJA0 (74 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive ASUS DRW-1612BL (DVD+R9:8x, DVD-R9:8x, DVD+RW:16x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/6x, DVD-RAM:12x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
Optical Drive SONY CD-RW CRX175A1 (24x/10x/40x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Burn errors are on the Asus drive with large files to DVD. Going to try burning smaller files to CD using the Asus drive and Sony drive.

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT (256 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Monitor Dell M992 [19" CRT] (4N7363ATB8GY)

Network:
Network Adapter VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Audio
Realtek ALC888/S/T

The Following is from HiJackThis
**************************************************************************************

**EDIT** Removed HJT logfile and stored it in the "Jail" in case it's needed later on.

Thanks is advance for any help you can give.

Edited by usasma, 31 July 2008 - 07:15 AM.
See **EDIT** above

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:22 PM

Rather than the malware route...I'd be looking at Event Viewer, particularly the Apps tab.

I don't know of anything in file transfer protocols that would make file size meaningful. There needs to be an error message.

I transfer large (video and system backup) files all the time between systems...I've not seen any limitation other than time.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 Smoothtony

Smoothtony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the quick response Louis. I thought the same thing which is why I looked at Event Viewer yesterday 07-29-08.

The only errors in Event Viewer were 1 on 07-13-08 due to me logging off/shutting down before something was saved in registry. And another one yesterday when I attempted to uninstall Bit Defender Total Security while logged in as a limited user. I normally use my computer in non-administrator mode (limited user) to alleviate many malware activations.

Any other ideas?
I'm stumped :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:33 PM

The only thing I can think of...create the conditions where these things happen, look for error messages (onscreen and in EV).

Louis

#5 Smoothtony

Smoothtony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:09 PM

The only thing I can think of...create the conditions where these things happen, look for error messages (onscreen and in EV).

Louis

Thanks for your help. I'm wondering if possibly the mixed manufacturers memory might be causing some sort of conflict. Will also try a few things like stinger and running some scans in safe mode. Wish me luck.

T

Edited by Smoothtony, 30 July 2008 - 07:10 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:41 PM

Well...the timings are the same and I think that's the more important aspect (as opposed to manufacturer).

From my recent experiences :thumbsup:, if it were RAM, I think you would definitely have error messages on BSODs, even if they jumped all over the place.

It's tough without error messages to really get a clue, IMO.

FWIW: I don't think Klite is a contributor to the problem...unless there is corruption. I see no reason to suspect that there is.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 July 2008 - 07:43 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:29 AM

I'd suspect that they are all related - but exactly how is difficult to determine. This is especially true if it's occurring at a level below the threshold that Windows can recognize (so no error messages are recognized).

I'd suggest checking your cables for this system - it may be that a deterioration in the network cable is causing the transfer errors over the network and the internet.

But, I wonder if the action of the chipset on the transfers is the root cause of this - as it also affects your DVD burner. The error in installing the Hyperion drivers is, to me, a cause for concern.

You can try this free memory tester to test your RAM: http://www.memtest86.com/ Let it run for at least 3 passes - but overnight is better. If you start getting errors you can stop the test and post back here for more steps.

Also, try this free tool to check your motherboard: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir...n=sware_dl_3264
While it's not a 100% solution, it may give us some ideas on how to proceed.

Finally, just to be sure, I'd also suggest running a diagnostic on your hard drive. You can usually download one for free from the manufacturer of your hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Smoothtony

Smoothtony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help. Here's an update to let you know where I'm "sitting" at the moment.

Related to DVD Burner problem
I burned 700MB of videos on my DVD burner and CD separate and both media (different media used in both drives) resulted in playable videos, burnt from each device. I attempted to burn a 3.0+ GB image file using my DVD burner and verification failed once burn was complete. This was done using Nero DVD-ISO format. Once I used Nero's DVD-UDP format (I believe that is what it is called) verification completed successfully. However attempting to extract the image from the DVD to another computer results in CRC fails.

Troubleshooting the VIA Hyperion driver install error message and lock up of network file transfer (Large files).
I've been running the system in safe mode last night and this morning scanning with Super AntiSpyware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Stinger, and SmitFraudFix. Currently it is running Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool then BitDefender afterwards in Safe Mode. So far Super AntiSpyware found 180 different issues which it has quarantined all of them. For now I want to rule out a possible infection of some type. If I'm indeed infected I will post as suggested in the "Am I infected" forum.

Additionally as was suggested after the safe mode scans I will attempt once again to load the updated Via Hyperion drivers. If it fails I'll run the memtest tool and sandra (can't believe I didn't think of that usasma). Hopefully that will give me some sort of error otherwise I'll remove a DIMM and see how the system operates

Wish me luck I'll post with an update soon. I greatly appreciate all of your help Louis and usasma!! Thanks a million.

Good suggestion on the network cable. It is a generic one however I imagine if that were causing the lock up of transfer/moving large files on my network, it would also have issues downloading large files over the internet. Nevertheless I will try that as well. :thumbsup:

Edited by Smoothtony, 31 July 2008 - 01:43 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:17 PM

What were the 180 issues that SuperAntispyware found? Not all of them, one by one, but of what general type? Cookies, spyware, exploits, viruses, registry entries, adware, etc?

I suspect that this issue relates to your chipset drivers and the inability to copy large files. While it may not be malware, it's something that affects the proper functioning of your system.

Once the malware is ruled out (and fixed, if needs be), then we can start on repairing the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Smoothtony

Smoothtony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:12 PM

What were the 180 issues that SuperAntispyware found? Not all of them, one by one, but of what general type? Cookies, spyware, exploits, viruses, registry entries, adware, etc?

I suspect that this issue relates to your chipset drivers and the inability to copy large files. While it may not be malware, it's something that affects the proper functioning of your system.

Once the malware is ruled out (and fixed, if needs be), then we can start on repairing the problem.

The 180 issues appeared to all be cookies, although I will admit I didn't go through each one that Super AntiSpyware found. My system finally finished the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. I knew it would take awhile to finish but I was surprised I had nearly 1,000,000 files on my system (including files in archives). It took almost 13 hours to complete, the result was all files were clean.

I decided this morning to upgrade the BIOS. I didn't get the most up to date one as that enables some of the newer ATI video cards to work. I upgraded to the most recent memory compatibility BIOS update. While looking in my BIOS I'm considering changing Dual Channel memory mode to Single Channel. Since my memory is of different manufacturers although same speed I'm wondering if that could be an issue.

At this moment it is running memtest86. So far there have been 0 errors and it is on the second pass (I'm wondering if I'm running it right. I made the ISO, rebooted, and it began testing on its own).

I must admit I decided to not run BitDefender again in safe mode (I did previously run without being in safe mode and it was clean). If memtest86 has no errors I'll be nearly stumped. Sigh why can't technology be easier... :thumbsup:

Edited by Smoothtony, 01 August 2008 - 01:15 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:08 AM

That's the right way to run Memtest - and if it gives no errors, it's presumed that your memory is good.

I'd suggest trying single channel mode for the memory as an experiment. It's likely to make the system a bit slower, but you'll be able to try some large file writing to see if it helps.

Although SuperAntiSpyware is a great program, I'm starting to see frequent issues with it causing problems on systems. So, I'd suggest uninstalling it and making sure that no remnants are trying to load at startup.

Also, I'd check your Services to see if there's anything amiss there. To open the Services applet, go to Start...Run... and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. You can get the services default settings from http://www.blackviper.com

#12 Smoothtony

Smoothtony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:17 PM

:thumbsup: SUCCESS :flowers:

I finally figured out 2 of the problems.

Memtest86 didn't post any errors so my memory wasn't the issue. I was finally able to update my chipset drivers by going to the Via Arena website and downloading the Hyperion 518 drivers. On the Asrock website the drivers listed was Hyperion 510. Since upgrading to the latest Via drivers I can finally transfer large files over my network on this PC.

I believe there may have been some type of bug with InstallShield in the Via Hyperion 510 drivers that I attempted to install. Either way I'm glad I finally figured out what was going wrong.

The issue with my DVD/CD Burner making coasters I've yet to figure out. Today after a bit of troubleshooting I'm thinking it may be the media I'm using. However that is another story that I can attempt to diagnose myself.

Thank you so much to everyone who helped me troubleshoot and track down my PC problems. You are the BEST! :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users