Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Error When Pressing Ctrl To Enter Safemode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike850

Mike850

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:53 PM

Hello all.
First a brief background before the real issue :thumbsup: I just purchased a brand new DELL Inspiron I530 to finally replace my antiquated DELL 700 MHZ with Millenium Edition OS. I am keeping the old DELL for my kids to learn off of. I want to defrag and wipe out the hard drive and restore the computer back to the way it was 7 years ago.

I'm trying to get to SAFE MODE. After booting up, I hold down the CTRL key waiting for the menu to appear to allow me to select SAFE MODE. Instead, I get a message that says "keyboard error". So I do CTRL/ALT/DEL and try it again...and again. I've also tried holding down the F8 key instead, but still get the same error message. If I don't hold down the key the whole time, or if I try rapidly pushing it, it will not give the message. Instead, it will bypass the option for SAFE MODE and proceed to fully boot.

Any ideas/suggestions? :flowers:

Edited by garmanma, 30 July 2008 - 06:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:38 PM

Don't hold the F8 key down, just keep tapping it just as soon as the first screen loads. It can be tricky sometimes. You have to catch it just right
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Mike850

Mike850
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:43 AM

Tapping the F8 key seems to have no effect and it still boots up. I'll keep trying. In the past I could always hold down the CTRL key right after powering on and then the menu to allow safe mode would pop up. But now it just says keyboard error.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:30 AM

You are correct, it is the control key
http://www.md4pc.com/

Try the second methed for ME here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

Edited by garmanma, 31 July 2008 - 11:05 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users