Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Shut Down My Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tchubby2001

tchubby2001

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:15 PM

Hello I am new here and think this site is fantastic!

My issue is that when I try to shutdown my system (IBM thinkpad T40 running XP) I get a blue screen with a message

"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x000000B0, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8052D4DA)

and then my machine restarts.

Beginning dump of physical memory.
Physical memory dump complete.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:12 PM

Hello :thumbsup:.

The good news...that error message is pretty familiar to many of us. The bad news...it's not easy to figure out just what the problem is and overcome it :flowers:. Patience will be required.

This is probably going to be a step in trying to determine what is wrong and what is right: http://www.technibble.com/how-to-diagnose-bad-ram/

And...these errors can also be indicative of driver problems, with the problem being the determination of what driver.

Since you say this is an issue occurring at shutdown...this is worth knowing.

REBOOT INSTEAD OF SHUTDOWN
Most Win XP shutdown problems reported thus far have been that it reboots when shutdown is attempted. This may be a global symptom emerging from several distinct causes, because, by default, XP executes an automatic restart in the event of a system failure. Therefore, more or less anything compromising the operating system during the shutdown process could force this reboot.

Disabling the “restart on system failure” feature may permit the exact cause to be isolated: Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart.”

Hopefully, doing that will facilitate the generation of an error message that is more specific to a particular application or event. If so, this message will appear in Event Viewer.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

The Event Viewer will become very important for any user who hopes to have any clues at all when things go wrong with the system, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users