Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Specific Detail View Multiple Folders

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 imatechie

imatechie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:38 AM

As you may know, XP lets you select specific details to view in Details mode of a folder, for example if you have a documents folder, you can select to view author, owner, date created, etc, for a pictures folder, you can select items like date taken, camera used, dimensions.

However, you can only do this on a per folder basis, so for example, if you have a lot of subfolders under my pictures, you can't select multiple folders and choose what details that you want to be displayed for those folders.

Does anyone here know of either a third party program or a sample script (vbs or Windows script) that could modify the specific details settings on certain multiple folders at one time?

Thanks,

Jeff
The only real problem that I have with being an I.T. Tech is that I can't use the excuse:
"Sorry, I don't do windows."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:37 PM

You can make the details view the default for all folders (as I do).

And you can still change the view of individual folders if you would like to...it's just that the default will be the details view.

When you get to My Computer (in the following), change the view to Details before moving on.

Start\My Computer\Tools\Folder Options\View...click Apply To All Folders.

Louis

#3 imatechie

imatechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:47 PM

You can make the details view the default for all folders (as I do).

And you can still change the view of individual folders if you would like to...it's just that the default will be the details view.

When you get to My Computer (in the following), change the view to Details before moving on.

Start\My Computer\Tools\Folder Options\View...click Apply To All Folders.

Louis

I know that :thumbsup: , however, in the details view, you can tell XP exactly what columns to display in the details view, the problem is that you can only specify the exact columns on a per folder basis. This is why I was looking for a third party program or a script that could change a specific set of folders at one time by selecting multiple folders, then choosing the columns to display for only those folders. For example if you have over 2000 sub folders under My Pictures, you would need to go to each one, select View, then select choose details, then select each item you want displayed in detail view.

I know that if I could find a script that shows how to set specific columns for a folder in detail view, I can add other folders to the script and it would still be faster then manually choosing the columns for each folder.

Oh well, maybe one day.
The only real problem that I have with being an I.T. Tech is that I can't use the excuse:
"Sorry, I don't do windows."

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:01 PM

Understood :thumbsup:.

I would get around that...by putting all folders of one type (e.g., .mp3 files) on the same partition or under a general folder...and then set the characteristics for that folder and make all subordinates the same.

The details selected for the main folder...will be the same reflected in all subordinates.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users