Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Versions Of Xp Home On Pc

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ekokuk

ekokuk

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:30 AM

Just got a friends sons old pc, when switched on I'm given two versions of XP Home to select from to boot up, I choose the first version and it boots up fine and away I go, but how do I make the second version disaapear, any help???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:52 AM

Looks like there is another operating system installed, and you want to make sure there's nothing on that before you delete it. You can remove that option by Right Clicking "My Computer", click properties. Click the Advanced tab. This should show you a variety of different options. Select Startup and Recovery settings. In there, select the OS you want to run as the default and then set the timer to 0.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 ekokuk

ekokuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:14 AM

Many thanks aommaster, that has got it booting up straight away using the version I want, now how do I remove the unwanted version of XP?

#4 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:29 PM

You'll need to see if there are two windows folders in your C: drive. Let me know if there are, and we'll work out which one's which.

Note: This is a real crude way of getting rid of an OS, but it works :thumbsup:

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:16 PM

LOL...

FWIW: Just make sure that the two versions that appear on the boot.ini file...are really two installs.

Sometimes failed/aborted installs appear.

And...if the two installs are on separate partitions or disks...eliminating them is easy.

Louis

#6 ekokuk

ekokuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:17 PM

Yes there is windows and windows2 its the second one I want to delete

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:28 PM

Two part remedy:

a. Just boot into your "I'm keeping this" install and delete the Windows2 folder. Before you delete it, make sure there is nothing in the Win2 folder that you want to keep.

b. Open msconfig. This is a simple way to edit the boot.ini file, using msconfig. Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm

All should be well.

Louis

#8 ekokuk

ekokuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:33 PM

When I try to delete windows2 computer tells me that "WINDOWS2 is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be deleted"

#9 ekokuk

ekokuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:36 PM

Also when Check all boot ini runs I'm told "It appears thatall BOOT.INI lines for Microsoft operating systems are OK"

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:42 PM

OK.

Well...if you failed to delete the Windows2 folder, then the msconfig message makes sense. That folder should have been deleted first...then the entry for a Windows2 install would have been bogus and removed.

The message re the Windows folder...I'm sure that it did NOT say that this cannot be deleted. The only way that it would say that (as opposed to the normal cautionary message) is if you were actually in that particular version of Windows.

You've already stated that you were in the other version...do you know how to tell which you are in?

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#020 Scroll down to Question #20 and read the text there.

At this time, I suggest that you confirm which install you are booting into each time you state that you want to delete Windows2.

Louis

#11 ekokuk

ekokuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:46 AM

Hi Ive been away for a month or so but I still havent got this problem sorted....
I know I am in Windows2 version and its Windows I want rid of, however when I try to delete Windows from explorer, it looks as if it starts to delete, ie the delete box opens and files transfer to the bin, but it does this for about 5 seconds then the delete box disappears and nothing is deleted!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 ekokuk

ekokuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:53 PM

any help apreciated

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:43 PM

I don't know anything more to say, other than...have you checked your system for malware/infections?

Louis

#14 ekokuk

ekokuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:37 AM

Thanks Louis but run ad aware, spybot, and anti virus and they find nothing

#15 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:24 PM

Lets analyze...

You tried to install WindowsXP first time, setup created C:\Windows. Setup failed or whatever.

You tried to install XP second time, setup created C:\Windows2. Setup is successful. The C:\Windows2 is now your Windows folder. The first folder C:\Windows is the one you should be deleting.

Posted Image

EASY CHECK FIRST:
1. Download Process Explorer from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx
2. Run the Process Explorer by accepting the Microsoft Agreement.
3. In this you will see many processes being run in your system. Put the mouse cursor over svchost.exe process.
4. A floating window will show details about this process, as long as you keep the mouse over it.
5. If it tells C:\windows\system32\svchost.exe. Then C:\windows2 is to be deleted.
If it tells C:\windows2\system32\svchost.exe. Then C:\windows is to be deleted.

Have a nice day.

Edited by Romeo29, 18 September 2008 - 12:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users