Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Access To Windows Updates Or Control Panel

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 barneyrubble

barneyrubble

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:16 AM

Hi has anyone got any ideas to help me with a few problem on my computer please. First when you start computer up it always comes up with Microsoft Intellipoint has stopped working. Then it comes up with Windows cant check for updates and then when you click on the icon it flashes up very quickly with a blank box and the dissapears straight away.

The other problem which im not sure is interconnected is that When i click on Control panel it opens fine, then if i go for instance System and Maintenance it will open as normal again but will not allow me to access any of the commands ie system performance etc it does this with all the icons on the control panel you click and it makes a click noise and nothing happens at all.

And finally and at this point must say sorry for going on but if i click on Windows Updates it flashes up and dissapears straight away.

Im just learning about computers so all ive done so far is run virus checks and nothings showing up. I run AVAST 4.8 HOME EDITION and along side it run PC Tools Spyware Doctor. Ive also tried turning them off to see if i can access Control panel but to no avail.

Any help would be greatfully recieved. Many Thanks Jon

:huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:41 PM

Greetings Sir, {Satire} ( I refuse to talk to Barney Rubble) :huh:

Enough with the satire, has anyone else used the computer that you know of?
this initially sounds like a virus, diagnostic settings, or something called
Group Policy. These are some possibilities.

You may want to start by reading the threads about Hijack This to determine
if a virus is present.

If you find however that no virus is present, you may want to press F8 while the
system is coming up, and go into the administrator account. From there click the
Windows Logo Key + R which will bring up the "Run Dialog Box"

Type msconfig in the drop down area and make certain that normal start up is selected.
Click "Apply" , "OK" and reboot your computer. Please do not attempt to configure
other settings here as this may cause undesired results.

Finally, if the first two options don't work, you may want to read about Group Policies
but this is probably overkill for the issue you're having. If none of these works, I would
recommend wiping your PC and Starting fresh, which would entail backing up your documents.

I forgot to ask, is this a New computer? Is it running windows Vista for sure? Have you had
any several minor issues up to this point?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users