Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Workgroup Not Accessible

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nabbers

nabbers

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:28 AM

At the moment, I cannot see other computers on the network, nor can they see me.
Please help me to 'see' my computer and to allow other computers on the network to see my computer too.

If I click on > Windows Explorer > My Network Places > Microsoft Windows Network > Workgroup = I get a message that reads:
"Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out is you have access permissions.
The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

If I click on ‘Search’ and search for ‘computers’ [My computer is called jen] I get:
Jen in ‘workgroup’.
If I click on jen in the search box I get all the drives and folders on my computer.

My Network places and Workgroup had disappeared from my Start Menu.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 billyfridge

billyfridge

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:41 AM

I have the same problem, 2 pc's only....number 2 shows it's own icon and shared folders etc, but number 1 (the host pc) says i might not have permission. :thumbsup:

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:59 PM

Generic ideas, since no details of the system provided.

Workstation service enabled?
NetBIOS enabled in the TCP/IP protocol of Network configuration?
File and Printer sharing in Network properties enabled?
All computers belong to the same named workgroup?
If XP-Pro - are permissions given to users who attempt access?
If XP-home - guest account enabled?
Firewall permits computers on the LAN to share resources?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users