Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Causing Lag In Games

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tieron

Tieron

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:50 AM

For about a week and a half now, my brand new Nvidia 8600 Video Card (16x PCI-E) from Zotac has been doing something I've never had an issue with before. Whenever I play a game of any kind (mostly Lord of the Rings Online), I normally have all the settings as high as they can go. I normally see around 45 frames per second, but every 3 minutes or so, it drops to under 3 FPS. I don't know if it's a setting with my video card, if it's overheating or what it could be. I drop the settings down to as low as they go, and I still get the same thing. It's done this with over 8 games now and can't seem to figure it out.

I've tried to download the latest drivers, but the newest driver for my VC seems to be bugged. It gets to the "Installing Driver Components..." and just hangs. When I go to reboot the computer, it has to reboot again after attempting to load windows because the newest drives weren't installed all the way. I get an error message later on stating that the system came to a stop from a video driver not installed completely. I don't know if my system is seeing the Video card with two separate drivers, which is causing the drop in quality, or what it could be.

If it's needed, here's my current system (custom built):

Pentium Core 2 Duo E2200 Processor
Biostar P35D2-A7 Motherboard
2 GB 800MHz DDR 2 Memory
Zotac Nvidia 8600 (16x PCI-E) Video Card

I figured that'd be everything vital in it. This issue isn't a huge thing, but more of an annoyance and was wondering if there was any idea on how to fix this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:08 AM

Those updated drivers sound like the problem. You should first try uninstalling your old drivers,reboot your system, then install the new ones.

EDIT: Sorry, but I couldn't resist. This is my 1000th post :D !

Edited by Sterling14, 30 July 2008 - 08:09 AM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Tieron

Tieron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:37 AM

I tried to uninstall the previous driver, but it says that "Driver uninstallation failed. Driver required to boot system." I tried this in safe mode as well and got the same thing. When I try to install the driver, either from the .exe file from Nvidia or using the update manager from Windows, it locks my computer, I have to reboot, and upon the reboot, I get a blue screen (as mentioned above). After the computer reboots itself, I get an error message upon bootup saying "Error loading F:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll" "Invalid access to memory location." This error message pops up every time the computer reboots now.

Could it be that it's my ram or processor rather than the video card?

Edited by Tieron, 30 July 2008 - 12:05 PM.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:19 PM

I just looked up NvCpl.dll, and that is Nvidia control panel. It's not really anything important, and is the extra software that comes with your driver. You should see if you can uninstall it, unless of course, you want it.

You should be able to uninstall your graphics driver. Your computer will run without them, but the display will be fuzzy, and not work optimally. Try using driver cleaner pro to remove them. http://www.afterdawn.com/software/download...ver_cleaner_pro . See if you can delete every file that pertains to your graphics card. Once you remove as much as you can, reboot the system, and then see if you can install new drivers.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Tieron

Tieron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:14 PM

Thanks a ton Sterling, that helped with getting the new drivers installed. Since then I did figure out what it was exactly. The fan on the Video Card stopped working. It doesn't spin any more. It's past the 30 day return policy from Newegg, and the company that makes it, Zotac, doesn't support Warranty Registration in the US, so i'm not 100% certain I'll be able to get it from them either :thumbsup: Looks like i'll be out $77 (I know it's not alot, but when you spend a tax rebate on it...)

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:05 AM

You can purchase a new fan/heatsink for your card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....+Card+Processor . Just make sure the fan says it's compatible with an 8600gt or a nvidia 8 series card. This one appears to be good, especially for the 8600GT. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835128020 .

#7 Tieron

Tieron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:52 AM

I've never replaced the fan on a video card before. What's the difficulty level in doing something like that?

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:10 AM

I've never done it, but I've taken the heatsink/fan off of a few of my graphics cards, and put them back on. There should be four screws on the back side of the graphics card. Just unscrew those, and the heatsink/fan should pop off. You will also need to unplug the cable that connects the fan to the PCB board of the graphics card. The new one should go on and just screw in the same place. Don't forget to plug the cable for the new fan in the same spot on the PCB board.

#9 Tieron

Tieron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:16 AM

Alright cool. It seems the new fan is connected directly using the power supply's power, so I'm hoping I have an extra power spot to put it in. I've ordered the part already and once it comes back, I'll let you know how it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users