Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help. I Want To Throw Away My Computer I'm So Frustrated

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 L A Slim

L A Slim

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:40 PM

Please send this to the Windows XP forum as that is the operating system I'm working with. Sorry.

I want to throw this computer away I'm getting so frustrated with how ridiculously
slow it has become. Here are some of the problems I'm experiencing..

1. Screens freeze up, many of times you can't even close out the screen. Alt CTL Del
doesn't work either. Also you'll get a screen that just turns into a blank page
and freezes. When it is workign it might work for a short period of time but the time it takes
to get to any page is ridiculous.
2. When clicking on anything, there will be a pause(hourglass). Sometimes it's quick
but lately it's just freezes with the hourglasses and you can't do anything but wait
3. My Olympus Camedia Master program no longer works, it will open up but then close for no reason at all.
If your editing a photograph it will just close. Sometimes it will work for a couple
images but most of the time now it will just open up and you try to edit one image and
then it closes down.
4. Computer is ridiculously slow. Just can't empasize it enough. And I thought dial up was slow.

Maybe it's just time to get a new computer. Don't know what happened here but there are to many problems
I thought I'd do a scan with registry mechanic and I had over 1450problems. When I fixed them it
was of no help at all. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks

Edited by L A Slim, 30 July 2008 - 03:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:48 AM

[edit: removed content related to wrong OS]
I would avoid registry fixers and cleaners, as I've read they don't help all that much and risk seriously crippling your system. For a better description of registry cleaner issues, have look at this:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry881142

Hope it helps a little.

Edited by jhsmurray, 30 July 2008 - 11:44 AM.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:39 AM

Honestly, when computing gets really really bad, a lot of people simply erase the hard drive and reinstall windows. Or they restore from a backup of their active partition so they don't have to reinstall all of their programs and files.

If you're OS and program data is corrupt, then the errors will simply get worse and worse.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:50 AM

Moved to XP per request
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:46 PM

The theory behind repairing anything...is that someone knows what is wrong so that it can be repaired or replaced :thumbsup:.

It seems that you have a mess...we don't know the history of the system, we have no clue whether you have maintained it properly or just treated it like a throw-away.

We don't know whether it's infected now or has a history of infections (which reflect on the users).

We don't know whether you have systematic backups.

You have provided no detail about the system itself, what equipment is installed, laptop versus desktop, etc.

From here...a clean install sounds like a good beginning, if not a cure for whatever led to the current condition of the system.

Louis

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:03 AM

I'd have to agree with the opinions above. But, I'd have to suggest checking your hard drive and memory with bootable diagnostics before backing up your data and doing a clean install of XP.

First, backup your data. Should there be a problem with the hardware, the best time to backup is before it becomes a problem. If you try to backup after the problem, your chances go down dramatically with each access of the system.

You can obtain a diagnostic program for the hard drive from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive.
You can use this free memory tester: http://www.memtest86.com/ Let the test run for a minimum of 3 passes (overnight is better). If you encounter errors you can stop the test.

Once all that's done (and you didn't get any errors) then you can proceed with a clean install of XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:30 AM

Last and fast remedy for Windows is: format the hard disk and re-install :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users