Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(c:) 26% (low)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crzyallday0514

crzyallday0514

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:41 PM

In all my troubleshooting looked at Computer Information and under Disk Partition Local Disk (C:) the usage was 26% (Low). Read a post the other day about changing the virtual memory to 1/12 times the amount of RAM. Is this what I need to do? Ram is 1.99GB and virtual memory is 756 MB. Originally the RAM was 512MB and upgraded to 2.0GB which is all my system will handle. Didn't know if the virtual memory was the original that was set or if it reset when I put in the new memory. Or is this something totally different that the Disk Partition and its usage? Hope somebody can help me. This may be why I've had some problems as of late since I've run several troubleshooting scans and nothing has shown up. Thanks for any suggestions.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said
and on which it is impossible to be silent."
-Victor Hugo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:39 AM

This should indicate that only 26% of your C: drive is occupied by system and application/data files, leaving the remainder available for subsequent use. In other words this is a good thing, there is space available on C: for installing more applications etc. On my laptop C: partition, the figures are Used space 6.59GB, Free space 5.12, so my usage is just over 50%.

This is not at all related to virtual memory. A 756MB paging file would be typical for 512M of RAM. Now having 2GB available, the paging file size can be less significant, as there is so much more memory available we would expect there to be much less need for use of the paging file. However if you load the system up heavily, a similar guideline would apply, that a pagefile of 1.5 times the physical memory is suggested.

One way of handling it is to allow Windows to manage the pagefile, setting the "System managed size" in the Virtual Memory properties. Windows is actually quite good at managing virtual memory. But if you want to specify sizes, setting the minimum and maximum size the same yields a fixed pagefile size, whereas setting a smaller minimum size with an adequate maximum, saves using up say 3GB of the drive with a permanent file that may rarely be used.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 crzyallday0514

crzyallday0514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:28 AM

Many thanks. I naturally assumed "low" meant like your oil in the car is low. I was concerned for nothing.

I do need clarification (in other words, simple for moi) on allowing Windows to manage the pagefile, setting the "System managed size in the Virtual Memory Properties. How do I get there to check that? I'd be more than happy to let Windows do the managing.

-Victor Hugo

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:12 AM

If you go to System Properties (either through Control Panel, or by right-clicking on My Computer & selecting Properties), on the Advanced tab, click Settings in the Performance section. On the Advanced tab in there, you can change the settings for virtual memory, including System managed size.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 crzyallday0514

crzyallday0514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:37 PM

:thumbsup: Done...thank you very much.