Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ff3

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crzyallday0514

crzyallday0514

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:05 PM

:thumbsup: I recently changed from IE7 because of all the security issues to Firefox3. Like it soooooo much better. But my brother-in-law who just loves Microsoft (I'm not of the same persuasion) thought running Firefox3 and IE would be a problem. I put the IE tab into Firefox so that when I have to go to Windows Update, etc. I can switch over. So far it has worked good. I also found out that I couldn't delete IE because Windows depends on it. I never plan on using IE again so can someone tell me if one can delete some of the things in IE but not uninstall it. Windows Update uses IE (of course) and also MSN Live Mail. Only reason I have Live Mail is because you can't get into some Window sites without a Live Mail Id. Or something like that and if you don't use it for 3 mos. they delete your ID.

I find Microsoft very intrusive but for now there are some things I have to do since my OC is WXP. Just learned from PCWorld about other operating systems. I'm so much in the dark I thought there was only Microsoft and MACs.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said
and on which it is impossible to be silent."
-Victor Hugo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:39 PM

You can have as many browsers on your hard drive as you want, or need, or have space for; at times I have several open at once.
Once you establish which is your default browser (Firefox, to be sure), you can always launch the others as you need to.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:47 AM

You need to keep Internet Explorer so you can get to Microsoft websites occasionally. Don't delete it because you'll end up having to reinstall it anyway. You can have as many browsers as you want. I have three. I use my ISP's branded browser most of the time (based on IE6) and I also have IE7 & Firefox and need to use them occasionally.

#4 crzyallday0514

crzyallday0514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:57 AM

Thanks for all your help. :thumbsup:

"Music expresses that which cannot be said
and on which it is impossible to be silent."
-Victor Hugo