Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Selling An Xp Pc On Ebay - Need Reassurance!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DX7450

DX7450

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:01 PM

I need to know if my PC is safe to sell-on. Here is what I've done to delete the data on it - can anyone reassure me that I've done enough?

- I use Window Washer after every internet log-on. It 'wipes' all internet related stuff (passwords, temp files, cookies, etc.,) anything between once and 35 times (I usually have it set at 7).

- I've run Window Washer to 'bleach' the above files - I guess this means they're over-written then over-written again. I've also done this on 'slack' space on the hard drive.

- I've run a Factory Restore disc through my machine 4 times. I understand from previous queries on another forum that a Factory Restore disc isn't a DOD standard restore - but will running it 4 times make up for this?

Anyone that can give reassuring answers to all of the above or further advice is very much appreciated!

An IT guy at work told me that running the Factory Restore disc twice should be enough to permanently erase EVERYTHING, but now I don't feel so sure.

- Is it relatively easy for someone to recover stuff I don't want them to, even after I've done all the above?

I'm not big on PC knowledge - please go easy on me!

THANKS!

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:47 PM

"Total System Erase

Window Washer can be set to fully erase your hard drive, files, programs and operating system for easy re-formatting. Consider using this feature if you're donating or selling your PC and you don't want your files to be seen by strangers."

Did you do this also before a reinstall of the OS?
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:29 AM

I use and recommend dban for disk wiping.

DBAN is a means of ensuring due diligence in computer recycling, a way of preventing identity theft if you want to sell a computer, and a good way to totally clean a Microsoft Windows installation of viruses and spyware. DBAN prevents or thoroughly hinders all known techniques of hard disk forensic analysis.

http://www.dban.org/

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users