Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dbx Files And How To Extract Emails

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 adeney

adeney

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:22 PM

Hi

I need some advise. I have just up graded my computer just in time as my old one blew up. The hard drive was fine and I have found all my old emails. My problem is how do I extract them so that I can read them as there are a lot that I need. It would be great if I could convert them into a word or similar file. My old email programme was Outlook express 6. I am using the new vista one now.

Any help would be gratefully receivd.

Richard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:20 PM

Try this.

It's a standalone program and doesn't require installation.

Viewer for standalone files containing Microsoft Outlook Express 4,5 and 6 message database (*.idx/*.mbx/*.dbx) and standalone EML files. This application is based on MiTeC Outlook Express Reader. It displays list of contained messages and their header. Message can be viewed in detailed view including attachments (save ability) and HTML preview and printing. Messages can be saved to *.eml files.

http://www.mitec.cz/oeview.html

After your open it, go to the top where it says File, and choose Open. Browse to the folder where the .dbx files are. Select the .dbx file you want to see, ie Inbox.dbx, highlight it, select Open.

All the emails in the Inbox are now listed. Highlight the email you want, and then go to the top to Message Database, and select Message View. And there it is!

Or if you just want to save the complete folder first and then look at all of them, just highlight all the messages in the .dbx folder, go up to Message Database and choose "Save Selected" and save them to a folder of your choice, say in My Documents. If you need to put any of them back into your OE Inbox, Sent, a special folder...wherever...you can drag and drop them into OE again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users