Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winctrl32 Trojan And Virus Alert Text

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Boatster

Boatster

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:32 PM

I've got that WinCtrl32 problem on my PC (Win XP Pro, SP2), after clicking on something nasty from the web.

I've run Spybot multiple times, and it seems to have eradicated most of the bad stuff, including Zlob, Vista Anti-Virus, and Virtumonde malware. But it also keeps finding something else called Win32.Banker.aipy.rtk and has eradicated multiple files under that. Now it's down to finding only three files:
-- Win32.Banker.aipy.rtk: [SBI $F565C0D5] Settings (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\lanmandrv

-- Win32.Banker.aipy.rtk: [SBI $AD7B69FD] Settings (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\lanmandrv

-- Win32.Banker.aipy.rtk: [SBI $4443B172] Library (File, nothing done)
E:\WINDOWS\system32\qmopt.dll

But each time I use Spybot to delete them, the same three files reappear the next time I run Spybot, either with or without rebooting.

There are two files (WinCtrl32.dll and WinCtrl32.dl_) on my main hard drive (E:\WINDOWS\system32) that I've tried deleting but can't.

Ad-Aware (free) finds nothing.

I also have HijackThis, but haven't run it yet because I can't figure out what it does.

Other Symptoms
-- I see "VIRUS ALERT!" in place of PM or AM in Date/Time, and it has switched from a 12-hour clock to a 24-hour clock. This VIRUS ALERT! text reappears in all other programs where I use time stamps (emails in Outlook, appointments in Lotus Organizer).

-- When Windows launches, I get a message saying "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting" and urging me to activate Windows Genuine Advantage, which I refuse to do since I have a legit copy of Windows XP.

-- The Start menu no longer shows Control Panel, Help & Support, Run, Search, etc.

-- When Windows launches at startup and my desktop comes up, I get a My Computer window opening automatically that shows the E:\WINDOWS\system32 folder contents. This never happened before.

Oh, man -- I hope you guys can help me out of this mess…

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:11 PM

Hello and welcome. Let's do one more scan. Please disable spybot for this,turn it back on after.
Then run a Spybot scan from safe mode and see what comes back.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Reagardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Boatster

Boatster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:28 PM

Yeah! You guys are the best!

MBAM got rid of most of the problems, including the VIRUS ALERT! text and the missing Start Menu apps. Also the WinCtrl32 files are gone.

I ran Spybot in normal mode (tried it in Safe Mode but the darn thing opened outside the available screen space and I couldn't reach it with the cursor). The good news is that no threats were found.

Here's the MBAM log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.23
Database version: 1008
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

10:22:09 PM 7/29/2008
mbam-log-7-29-2008 (22-22-09).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 40784
Time elapsed: 9 minute(s), 6 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 3
Registry Keys Infected: 18
Registry Values Infected: 6
Registry Data Items Infected: 7
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 33

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
E:\WINDOWS\system32\WinCtrl32.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\dksiom.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.
E:\WINDOWS\System32\Dll.dll (Trojan.Downloader) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{7faca214-7e5d-4b59-b69b-618a8f8c39d3} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{7faca214-7e5d-4b59-b69b-618a8f8c39d3} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\winctrl32 (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{04a38f6b-006f-4247-ba4c-02a139d5531c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{3c2d2a1e-031f-4397-9614-87c932a848e0} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2b96d5cc-c5b5-49a5-a69d-cc0a30f9028c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx.1 (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{267212fe-b77a-4c83-bb75-3f84b52a3bee} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{267212fe-b77a-4c83-bb75-3f84b52a3bee} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VAV (Rogue.VistaAntivirus2008) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Juan (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RemoveRP (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSPlugin (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\fdkowvbp.bgow (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\fdkowvbp.toolbar.1 (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\lanmandrv (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmandrv (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\lanmanwrk.exe clean (Backdoor.Qmop) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs\E:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\WeatherBug\MiniBugTransporter.dll (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks\{267212fe-b77a-4c83-bb75-3f84b52a3bee} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\kerneldrv.exe clean (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad\eqvwamkl (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad\wnslvxtf (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProductId (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Bad: (VIRUS ALERT!) Good: (76487-015-9271781-22780) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\sTimeFormat (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Bad: (HH:mm: VIRUS ALERT!) Good: (h:mm:ss tt) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowMyDocs (Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowMyComputer (Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\StartMenuLogOff (Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoDrives (Hijack.Drives) -> Bad: (12) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoToolbarCustomize (Hijack.Explorer) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
E:\WINDOWS\system32\dksiom.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\WinCtrl32.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\lanmanwrk.exe (Backdoor.Qmop) -> Delete on reboot.
E:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\WeatherBug\MiniBugTransporter.dll (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\ixativbd.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\WinCtrl32.dl_ (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\132lsf.exe (Backdoor.Qmop) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\193lsf.exe (Backdoor.Qmop) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\269lsf.exe (Backdoor.Qmop) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\26lsf.exe (Backdoor.Qmop) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\358lsf.exe (Backdoor.Qmop) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\406lsf.exe (Backdoor.Qmop) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\474lsf.exe (Backdoor.Qmop) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\539lsf.exe (Backdoor.Qmop) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\564lsf.exe (Backdoor.Qmop) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\569lsf.exe (Backdoor.Qmop) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\57lsf.exe (Backdoor.Qmop) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\668lsf.exe (Backdoor.Qmop) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\734lsf.exe (Backdoor.Qmop) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\840lsf.exe (Backdoor.Qmop) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\958lsf.exe (Backdoor.Qmop) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\991lsf.exe (Backdoor.Qmop) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\Winqx64.sys (Rootkit.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
E:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1409082233-1682526488-1957994488-1003\De51.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1409082233-1682526488-1957994488-1003\De52.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1409082233-1682526488-1957994488-1003\De26.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1409082233-1682526488-1957994488-1003\De44.del (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\KernelDrv.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\Dll.dll (Trojan.Downloader) -> Delete on reboot.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\ksvcl.dll (Stolen.Data) -> Delete on reboot.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\kcopt.dll (Stolen.Data) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\qmopt.dll (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\WINDOWS\system32\lanmandrv.sys (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

---

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:07 AM

Hello looking good. Please reboot if you have not already. Then check for an update,rescan and post back another log.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Boatster

Boatster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:34 AM

Hi, boopme. I just ran MBAM again and it reports no malicious items detected. Am I free and clear???

Log follows:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.23
Database version: 1008
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

11:29:48 AM 7/30/2008
mbam-log-7-30-2008 (11-29-47).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 40394
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 51 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:44 AM

OK great, ifall the problems are gone then...

Now you should Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete these bad files which sometimes can reinfect your system. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "OK".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

#7 Boatster

Boatster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:30 AM

OK, did all that. Everything looks clear. I really can't thank you enough.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:13 PM

You're welcome from all of us at BC. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users