Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Booman

Booman

• Banned
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:36 PM

For the past few weeks my Startmenu will be black (when you push the button to open the star menu) And some Microsoft windows programs will not open in the start menu such as MS Office 2003. It tells me Windows cannot run this program because it is not installed. My quicklaunch has issue once and a while that it wont load up. Sometimes the Startmenu wont even open. I have to access My Computer and run the programs manually. Is there any way to correct these errors? I mean it is bad when I cannot even access OpenOffice to make posts for my exercises. I run windows XP pro sp3. I have all te updates ad even the updated version Java 6 update 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:23 PM

This is my opinion, but personally I would start with a clean slate, it's nice to be able to remove malware but repairing the damage from it is another story, many computers are well on their way to a repair or reformat long before infection.

If you didn't build your own computer and have an option to run windows as a repair disk then I would do a clean install

A valuable exercise would be to run windows as a repair disk then attempt to remove any remnants of an infection(s) and use the clean install as a measure of last resort

When I was enrolled over at MRU the guides required a "Physican Heal Thyself" for all students
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Booman

Booman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 525 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:28 PM

So what you are saying is that I should not do a Repair Installation with my backup disc. That disc is all I have. So I should do a clean installation. I usually do KillDisk because it is easier to use than the reformatting process. And any data that I want to recover can easily be done. Furthermore I am trying to come up with some spare cash to purchase a coverslip for a desktop PC Hard drive so I can store my important data on it that I do not want to lose.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:27 PM

I thought I said I would try a repair disk and then a final malware removal before resorting to a clean install

Doing a repair disk and a clean install should be a prerequisite to admission to a malware removal school in the my humble opinion

I came up thru a school that predated all the new stuff, it's called the school of hard knocks.

rant off a very old fart

Edited by DaChew, 31 July 2008 - 05:31 PM.

Chewy

#5 Booman

Booman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 525 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:40 PM

Haha. I can give it a try. But then I need to contact Microsoft again and ask them how to make my automatic updates work. They tend to download but not install after a repair installation.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:47 PM

I ran an repair on a last resort infection, after throwing the book at it, I then crashed updates a few times and ran a repair again, that bookkeeper was happy and printed checks and AFAIK the computer has run fine for 4 months

that's the only time I have had to run repair disk twice, usually I just throw in the towel, it's quicker and a lot more effective, and just do a clean install

sometimes bookkeepers don't back up and I have no choice

Edited by DaChew, 31 July 2008 - 06:02 PM.

Chewy

#7 Booman

Booman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 525 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

So can I get e fix for the updates?

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:04 PM

run a reapir disk after trying to kill the infection

If that doesn't work then you didn't kill the infection

I have read a few threads where the best malware teachers could not remove an infection, it's a fact of life
Chewy

#9 Booman

Booman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 525 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:48 AM

I understand that. I ran a scan with TuneUp utilities 2008 and found this

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users