Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Animation On A Web Page

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eLenka

eLenka

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:25 PM

Hi, guys!
One more question about flash animation of web design. Do you use flash animation for your site (e.g. animated text, buttons, menus) ? If yes, what types of flash animation do you have on your site and do you seem it helps you to attract visitors or not?
If you haven't your own site - do you like flash animation on the sites you visit or it annoys you?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mckooter

mckooter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:18 PM

personally, i think flash animation is a bit overused today. but it does have a place, i think sometimes the effect your trying to achieve is nessisary with flash, so i often have it used on sites in small bits, (generally in headers).

im starting to move towards using it less and less though and many of my recent projects contain no flash at all.

again this is just an opinion though, but thats my $.02
You can just call me Chris

I found out I was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:05 PM

If done in moderation, it is very effective for catching people's attention. One of the biggest problems is when people design their entire website in flash. The pages take way too long to load. According to several studies (none of which I can quote at the moment), if people do not see something within 20 seconds, they will go to another page. I have done studies on e-commerce websites that come pretty close to those figures. So in general, I find flash to be annoying when pages take forever to load, and nice when used in moderation. I personally do not use flash, although I administer websites that do have some flash components.

#4 HelenK

HelenK

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:07 AM

I think that you should use flash animation in several cases when you need it. I personally do not like websites based fully on flash animation.
I understand when people put some flash elements such as music players, buttons, menus (not everywhere they look ok). Sometimes you need to represent business data or statistics on your website. In this situation I prefer to use flash animated charts as the most impressive way to represent data online. Yep, also flash slideshows are used often in webdesign. I've found a blog post on this topic. Quite interesting and seems useful.

#5 eLenka

eLenka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:12 PM

Hi! Thanks for your answers, I really appreciate your opinions.
HelenK, thanks for the link, the post is very informative.

#6 ksky10081

ksky10081

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:19 PM

I removed flash and am enjoying the simpler pages again.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:05 PM

I use NoScript with Firefox which can disable Flash objects on all sites except those I whitelist. It makes the internet a much more pleasant place, even if some site don't work at all without Flash; I just go somewhere else. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users