Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 donnar

donnar

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:28 AM

This problem has both Dell and Microsoft stumped. I thought I'd throw it out here and see if you can beat MS to a solution.

Working with a small office with three computers. A Dell runs XP Pro, two Compaqs run XP Home. The file we want to share is on the XP Pro machine. I'm just going to state the sequence of the problem, be assured that (in a 4+ hour session with MS) we have addressed all the obvious settings. I'm looking for an "outside the box" solution.

The three computers are networked via ethernet through a small linklys hub. Everybody "sees" everybody. All three computers see three computers in the workgroup. All three computers can access XP Home #1 and XP Home #2. No computer can access XP Pro. We have set the sharing on the folder we want to share. We have checked the permissions and Everyone is allowed full access (we'll worry about security once we get them talking) to the folder. We can ping the XP Pro from the XP Homes. The error message we get when we try to access or map the drive is that we don't have permission to access.

At this point, the simple workaround is obvious, we'll move the files we want to share onto one of the Home computers, but I'm just enough of a stubborn (well, fill in the blank), that I want to know what the heck is going on.

As I said, the obvious things were checked both by myself and then by the tedious walkthroughs with the MS tech support. They have passed the problem on to their "research dept." They'll "get back" to me.

Anyone out there have any ideas? thanks.

donnar

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Efwis

Efwis

The Spyware Killing Dragon

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:52 PM

well your not going to like what I have to say on this situation. but here it goes. I tried a crossover platform like that before. I tried everything short of taking a hammer to the connection.

After tedious research I found the following out.

Windows XP pro is backwards compatible with Windows XP home. Which means that XP Pro can utilize the XP home computers' files on that kind of connection. However, XP home cannot utilize the files on a XP pro machine.

so unless Microsoft comes out with a patch for that kind of connection, you are left with one of two means of hookup.

a.) use a program like Micorsofts Netmeeting

or
b.) have all computers set up with either xp pro or xp home.

Edited by Efwis, 16 April 2005 - 04:52 PM.

Posted Image
if you like what I have done please consider making a donation to help fight spyware Posted Image

#3 donnar

donnar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:48 AM

Have to say that was pretty much the answer I was expecting...was rather surprised MS tech support didn't come to that conclusion, but they probably don't want to admit it...or the possibility of people wanting to mix their platform isn't a real priority to them.

This combination was purchased without my advice, I think I would have advised this office to stick with one or the other.

MS is to call back with some sort of response tomorrow, I'll let you know what they come up with, but suspect you've hit the nail on the head!

donnar

#4 donnar

donnar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:28 AM

Sorry it took so long to post back the results from Microsoft's callback, but the thing is, they still seem to have no clue. Techs with accents so severe it is difficult to communicate have walked us through any number of "fixes" that do not help, so we have devised our own workaround based on efwis' astute opinion that xp and home will never play nice.

I actually don't mind that they don't....just wish that the MS techs could figure it out. Kinda undermines the confidence in tech support, don't it?

Anyways, can always count on the "down to earth" advice from this site. Keep it up.

donnar

#5 ns2ny

ns2ny

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 06:41 PM

Hi there.....I was googling this same issue and came across this post. I wanted to add a twist to this. Not taking away from what has already been said but.....

I have a similar situation where the XPP machine has a shared data folder which was to be used by XPH machines. I have 1 XPH machine that can connect and share but the other 2 will not. It will see the machine in the browse network 'hood and I can ping it but when I map, it says "insufficient rights..."

I know my share permissions are correct and that I do not have any limits set to the # of connections.

Any sage advice out there???

TIA...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users