Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Basic Advise Needed On Simple Network

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 goofy yno

goofy yno

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:21 AM

Hi,
I've search but can't find the answers, must be too basic a question. I have never set up a network before.

I want to set up a computer (I have an old one for him) for my 7 y/o boy. he will only use it for basic stuff: Internet, some basic games, e mail.
we will be in the same room so I can monitor him. I originally was going to use a wired connection for speed and security, but then I thought if I get a laptop down the road (wife asking for it) I'd like to have a connection through out the house.

some initial questions:
1) do I go wireless or not?
2) will the speed of a wireless affect my computer- I do not game.
3) My house is like a dough nut with an out door atrium between the office and the rooms I'd use a lap top in. distance is around 50 feet max. is this a problem
4) is there any way to limit my son's e mail access- IE limit the spam coming in to him. can I have his e mail go to my computer first then me send it to him? or is there a kids program that only allows approved senders ?

any and all advise is very appreciated.
thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:24 AM

1.) You can definitely get a wireless router and check out newegg.com for the hottest deals. The wireless routers also come with 4-port ethernet ports on the back so you can hard-wire your son's computer while yours will be receiving wireless signal from the router's antenna.

2.) The speed of the wireless router should be good enough specially you don't game at all.

#3 goofy yno

goofy yno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:18 AM

The wireless routers also come with 4-port ethernet ports on the back so you can hard-wire your son's computer while yours will be receiving wireless signal from the router's antenna.

OH, do all of them, or do I need a specific brand/router?
this may be a great option, then I can hard wire the two computers in my office and use the wireless for my future laptopp.

any downside to this strategy (besides cost?)

#4 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:15 PM

Check this router out. I am not sure if all of the routers have 4-port ethernet ports on the back but I know Linksys does and I have had good experience with Linksys routers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...-190-_-Homepage

#5 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:17 PM

Hey goofy yno,

I've set up a few domestic wireless networks for myself and friends so I hope I can add to the above a little. I agree with other posters that any decent router will have multiple ports - 4 seems to be the standard but you can get devices with more should you need it. I use Netgear and it's as reliable as an old friend. The only time it has been unreliable is when I had a problem with my Firewall that had nothing to do with the router.

I use a mid-range router in terms of speed (108mbps) or G+ as it's known. This easily handles online-games (including Second-Life, which is a big hitter on the demand side) video downloads and various other high-demand apps such as video editing on up to three machines (2 + base PC) and I've not noticed any major issues at all. The key part is really your available broadband speed (bandwidth). If that's reasonable then everything else should tick along nicely.

The G+ option should cover 50 feet without breaking a sweat, unless you have a seriously odd shaped house and/or lead-lined walls :-) You may not get full signal at all times but you rarely do.

As for E-mail, I cannot offer an app based solution but I know an online service that I use that does not get ANY spam of the kind you are concerned about if you crank the filters up to the max level. You could easily monitor this by setting the password for him so you could then check it at any time. I have no interest in this company whatsoever but I use it precisely because it's trash-free. I'll PM you a link.

That brings me to my last network-related point. Make sure your network key (the part you use to secure it from outside usage) is as good if not better than any of your other secure passwords. I can pick up 5 seperate networks from my living room and any one of them could 'borrow' my connection if my network key was absent and they had half a mind to do so. I'm sure you know this but I'm saying it again as it really is important for network security.

#6 goofy yno

goofy yno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:15 AM

Check this router out. I am not sure if all of the routers have 4-port ethernet ports on the back but I know Linksys does and I have had good experience with Linksys routers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...-190-_-Homepage

thanks, it looks good, and the price is certainly low enough.

#7 goofy yno

goofy yno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:24 AM

Hey goofy yno,

I've set up a few domestic wireless networks for myself and friends so I hope I can add to the above a little. I agree with other posters that any decent router will have multiple ports - 4 seems to be the standard but you can get devices with more should you need it. I use Netgear and it's as reliable as an old friend. The only time it has been unreliable is when I had a problem with my Firewall that had nothing to do with the router.

I use a mid-range router in terms of speed (108mbps) or G+ as it's known. This easily handles online-games (including Second-Life, which is a big hitter on the demand side) video downloads and various other high-demand apps such as video editing on up to three machines (2 + base PC) and I've not noticed any major issues at all. The key part is really your available broadband speed (bandwidth). If that's reasonable then everything else should tick along nicely.

The G+ option should cover 50 feet without breaking a sweat, unless you have a seriously odd shaped house and/or lead-lined walls :-) You may not get full signal at all times but you rarely do.

As for E-mail, I cannot offer an app based solution but I know an online service that I use that does not get ANY spam of the kind you are concerned about if you crank the filters up to the max level. You could easily monitor this by setting the password for him so you could then check it at any time. I have no interest in this company whatsoever but I use it precisely because it's trash-free. I'll PM you a link.

That brings me to my last network-related point. Make sure your network key (the part you use to secure it from outside usage) is as good if not better than any of your other secure passwords. I can pick up 5 seperate networks from my living room and any one of them could 'borrow' my connection if my network key was absent and they had half a mind to do so. I'm sure you know this but I'm saying it again as it really is important for network security.

thanks, I'd like the the name of the service. if you PM'd me, I didn't get it.

any and all advice is welcome. I so new at this I'm still learning the vocabulary. :thumbsup:

#8 goofy yno

goofy yno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:41 AM

OK, so I have a snap gear lite 2 as a firewall. I assume I will add the Linksys router after that then two ethernet cables to both computers. will I need more than that (untill i get my laptop for the wireless part)? I assume if software is needed it will be included with the router.

#9 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:18 PM

Hi again,

In most systems I've set up you need only the one cable but as you are going for a 2nd hardwire it should be fairly simple. The software with the router should give you full instructions. The most important part (usually) is the order in which the connections are made after the software is installed. This usually goes something like this:

Modem ---- Router ---- PC ---- Laptop (the laptop being the wireless bit)

I can only assume that the laptop part can be substituted for your second hardwire to the PC.

Cables are usually color coded so it is difficult to get wrong, but if you do the connection will not be made.

The second thing to watch out for is the starting order. Once the router is installed, you will usually need to switch everything off, then on in the right order to establish a proper connection. This usually goes the same way as the above:

Modem --- router ---- PC and so on.

As long as you have made all the connections in the right order and all the machines in the network are in the same workgroup (your router instructions should cover all this) you will be good to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users