Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attack On Xp Pro From Zlob!gen.3 And Other Trogans

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ckleinan

ckleinan

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:14 AM

Hello,

Thanks for a great fourm.

I was attacked last night, when looking at a video from a concrete paving website, :thumbsup: when all of the sudden tons of antivirus stuff started popping up, my screen changed to a red screen with a bio symbol on it, with web links, my system clock now has "Virus Alert" next to the time, my "programs" on the start menu is gone, drive letters are missing in some apps, I can not get to display settings, or some other system tools. Just a general mess of things. At the moment of the attack, my real Symantic popped up a message about zlob!gen.3 I attempted to clean with that, and too late. I unplugged from the net, went out and got "spyhunter 3" which seems to have gotten most of the files, with the exception of some embeded stuff. The machine currently is trying to open ie windows without authorization, but other than the above problems seems to have settled down. I know it is still infected, and have yet to put it back on the net.

I am new to the major player virus/worm world, even though I work on these things often and I am very comforatble with windows code, so please lay it on me, and what you want me to do, I need all of the help I can get, and it appears you all have the knowledge. I am working from another machine, so it may be a slow process.

Thanks,

Anthony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:41 AM

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Reagardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 ckleinan

ckleinan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:24 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.23
Database version: 1008
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

12:17:39 PM 7/29/2008
mbam-log-7-29-2008 (12-17-31).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 44644
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 14 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 4
Registry Keys Infected: 14
Registry Values Infected: 5
Registry Data Items Infected: 11
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 16

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hgGwUMfD.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ibyqvjxu.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mtelbkbg.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\geBuSMgD.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{15bc52e4-f948-40bd-8806-a6a0eeb98cb2} (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{15bc52e4-f948-40bd-8806-a6a0eeb98cb2} (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e8ac85e8-4634-426d-942b-1f6069723dc7} (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{e8ac85e8-4634-426d-942b-1f6069723dc7} (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\gebusmgd (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\WinCtrl32 (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\rdfa (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Juan (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FCOVM (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RemoveRP (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSPlugin (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\fdkowvbp.bwav (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\fdkowvbp.toolbar.1 (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\aoprndtws (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\7b527c80 (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks\{e8ac85e8-4634-426d-942b-1f6069723dc7} (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\advap32 (Trojan.Spammer) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad\eqvwamkl (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad\wnslvxtf (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\Notification Packages (Trojan.Vundo) -> Data: c:\windows\system32\hggwumfd -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\Authentication Packages (Trojan.Vundo) -> Data: c:\windows\system32\hggwumfd -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProductId (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Bad: (VIRUS ALERT!) Good: (76477-OEM-0011903-00101) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\sTimeFormat (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Bad: (HH:mm: VIRUS ALERT!) Good: (h:mm:ss tt) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowMyComputer (Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoStartMenuMorePrograms (Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\StartMenuLogOff (Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoDrives (Hijack.Drives) -> Bad: (12) Good: (0) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoToolbarCustomize (Hijack.Explorer) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoSetFolders (Hijack.Explorer) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\NoDispCPL (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.

Folders Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\JCI\Start Menu\Programs\Antivirus 2008 PRO (Rogue.Antivirus2008) -> No action taken.

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hgGwUMfD.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DfMUwGgh.ini (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DfMUwGgh.ini2 (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ibyqvjxu.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxjvqybi.ini (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mtelbkbg.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\gbkbletm.ini (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\geBuSMgD.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hgGwVOgd.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hgGxxvvV.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\eeowla.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\efcBrOfD.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\emretltc.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
C:\Documents and Settings\JCI\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\2TL25CI5\ico[1] (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
C:\Documents and Settings\JCI\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\82587ZQB\kb767887[1] (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
C:\Documents and Settings\JCI\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\KL8V5RUH\kb456456[2] (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:29 PM

Your MBAM log shows "No action taken". This usually occurs if you forget to click "Remove Selected" and instead just click "Save Logfile". Please review these instructions (scroll down), rescan again (Quick Scan) in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. After performing a new scan, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.

#5 ckleinan

ckleinan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for the help.

I did a reboot of the system, as a few files could not be cleaned, and I did not see any activity from the Malware tool, deleting these files, my guess is, I wouldn't. As a side note, after the reboot, my Spyhunter 3 autostarted and has found additional stuff, mostly just cookies from Castle Media, is this becasue the other stuff was previously blocking the scans ability.

Also, my system is returning to normal, the clock is correct the "programs" on the start menu is back, I can get to the display settings, task manager is back, as is the drive letter in all apps I checked. I still have things locked down pretty tight on the firewall, and I am getting a lot of outbound requests from .dll's under explorer.exe. What are your thoughts please.

We are making progress, Thanks again.

Anthony

#6 ckleinan

ckleinan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:34 PM

Hello again,

I did in fact, click remove selected, and all were selected, I didn't see in your instructions to generate a log file, I wumst have clicked on it, prior to clicking the remove selected.

Sorry about that

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

MBAM was designed to deal with malware not cookies. I'd still like to see a new log.

I am getting a lot of outbound requests from .dll's under explorer.exe

You can download and use Process Explorer to investigate all running processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems.

Note: Process Explorer shows two panes by default: the upper pane is always a process list and the bottom pane either shows the list of DLLs loaded into the process selected in the upper pane, or the list of operating system resource handles (files, Registry keys, synchronization objects) the process has open. In the menu at the top select View > Lower Pane View to change between DLLs and Handles.

#8 ckleinan

ckleinan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:42 PM

12:42:20 PM 7/29/2008
mbam-log-7-29-2008 (12-42-20).txt

Objects scanned: 44546
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 6 second(s)

Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{7bb3d91b-6a09-497a-a7aa-41d115606689} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{7bb3d91b-6a09-497a-a7aa-41d115606689} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\eeowla.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#9 ckleinan

ckleinan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:48 PM

Yet a third scan!!!

Looking good

12:48:06 PM 7/29/2008
mbam-log-7-29-2008 (12-48-06).txt

Objects scanned: 44606
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 47 second(s)

Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:02 PM

Lets do some more cleaning and another scan to see if we find anything else that MBAM may have missed.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. alternate download link DO NOT use yet.
Please download and install SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.)
  • Under the "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

#11 ckleinan

ckleinan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

Hello, and thanks.

I do not have a VGA cable so I cannot boot to safe mode, (running on DVI, port doesn't turn on until after drivers are loaded.) Once I get one, I will follow your instructions.

Until then I have loaded and set-up the programs as you have dirrected, and the machine is off.

You have no idea the sence of relief, of getting me to this point.

I cannot thank you enough, I will be in touch soon.

Anthony

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:36 PM

Things look better so far. If you don't want to wait, run ATF and SAS in normal mode.

#13 ckleinan

ckleinan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:43 PM

Hello,

Ran the two programs you asked me to. The ATF Cleaner seemed to do it's job. The Super Anti-Spyware program in Safe Mode, found no infected anything. So all is looking good!!

However:

I am noticing that since I have been online to give you this information, my Symantic has notified me of two new files apparently trogans; one is a Pandex. Both where supposedly deleted, am I just going to be a target from here on out, or is something still lingering?

Thanks again,

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:04 AM

Symantic has notified me of two new files apparently trogans;

Did the program provide a specific file name associated with this malware threat and if so, where is it located (full file path) at on your system?

#15 ckleinan

ckleinan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:46 PM

Here is the information out of Symantic

8/4/2008 19:38 A0075939.dll Trojan.Pandex File Deleted C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D1982B28-D234-4BF6-8D95-36F35214EE60}\RP836\ The file was deleted successfully.

8/4/2008 19:33 scksexde.exe Trojan Horse File Deleted C:\Documents and Settings\JCI\Local Settings\Temp\ The file was deleted successfully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users