Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fat 32 To Ntfs Hopefully

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 aw9018

aw9018

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:41 AM

I installed a new HD in my PC after the old one died.It is a Dell Dimension 4100 running Windows ME and I have the original OS disk. When installing ME I accidentally formatted the disk in FAT 32. Can anyone tell me how I can redo it in NTFS, which is what I intended.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:14 AM

I know you can on Windows XP and Vista, but I'm not sure if you can on Windows ME. I did a little Google searching and this article on the Microsoft website applies to XP and Vista. It might be worth a try on ME:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

I will continue to look and see if there are any ME-specific ways.

EDIT: After a little more digging I guess you cannot convert to NTFS in Windows ME. If anyone else knows otherwise please correct me :thumbsup:

Edited by lhamil64, 29 July 2008 - 10:22 AM.

#3 aw9018

aw9018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:24 AM

My plan was to install ME and then upgrade to XP home because that is what I had before replacing the HD( with a NTFS file system), and I still have the ME and XP upgrade CD's. When I finished installing ME I saw the file system was FAT 32 and I assumed I made a mistake. There is nothing else on the HD so losing data is not an issue. Should I now go ahead with the upgrade to XP leaving it FAT 32, or reformat the HD if converting is not possible? Also if I need to reformat the HD I would appreciate instructions on how. Even if someone could tell me how to start over, that would be fine too. My goal at this point is to find the easiest way to have this machine run XP home and go from there. Thanks to anyone who can help.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:21 PM

When upgrading, it will prompt you whether or not you want to change the file system
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 aw9018

aw9018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:46 PM

I'll try and report back. Thanks.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:56 PM

WinME does not have any native NTFS capability, however there's no need to install ME to use an XP upgrade, the upgrade is a full XP installer, with the caveat that it needs to find evidence of an upgrade occurring. If the XP installer doesn't find an existing upgradeable OS on the hard drive, it will request to see your ME CD, and that will enable the completion of the XP installation. Many people feel doing it this way results in a cleaner XP installation.

Edited by Platypus, 29 July 2008 - 05:57 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 desinet1

desinet1

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:08 AM

It must be possible with XP and Vista.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:54 AM

Windows 95/98 and ME : FAT32 "ONLY"
Windows 2000/XP : FAT32 OR NTFS

If you install Windows ME, the hard disk should be partitioned using FAT32 only. Windows ME cannot recognize NTFS partitions. While 2000 and XP can recognize FAT16/FAT32/NTFS.

If you want to upgrade, why bother installing Windows ME in first place. Upgrading in that way creates a mess of files all over hard disk. Also it is a huge waste of time. Instead do a clean install. If your upgrade version does not support clean install, there are workarounds :thumbsup:

Edited by Romeo29, 06 August 2008 - 08:06 AM.

#9 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:02 AM

Hope this helps,

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456984.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users