Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Main board ...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 777Rob

777Rob

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 16 April 2005 - 07:06 AM

I am putting together all the parts for my new self built computer.
In doing so I am trying to use all the latest technology within my budget.
The main board that I have chosen is an ASUS A8V-E Deluxe.
It has PCI-Express Architecture.
Now, my research shows that this board has these expansion slots ...
1 x PCI-E x 16
2 x PCI-E x 1
3 x PCI
I take it that there a 6 expansion slots on the main board.
Temporarily I want to use my existing Video adaptor card (PCI).
Looking at those expansion slots I am assumiong that the 3 x PCI is just the normal old PCI slots, that should accommodate my video card.
Are my assumptions right.
Another point, what type of cards would you plug into these PCI-E slots, the
1 x PCI-E x 16 and the 2 x PCI-E 1.
This PCI-Express technology is new to me and I am trying to strengthen my thoughts about purchasing PCI-Express technology.
Some assistance from people with the expertise in this matter would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Rob.
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 16 April 2005 - 11:53 PM

Dear Rob,

I would not put the regular PCI video card in the PCI express board for many reasons.

For the most part, ASUS does not play friendly with many other video cards and vice versa.

For example, I bought the ASUS AX 800Pro/TVD 256mb video card for, at the time, my Shuttle mother board.

Man, I had all kinds of problems; video games would just stop, white screens, overheating, and you name it.

I called ATI first and they clued me in that ASUS does not like Shuttle boards and the video cards get hot.

The next call was to ASUS and they told me exactly what would work with the video card. So in a sense, I built my computer around my video card.

I think you should do the same but like the guy a ATI told me, research before you buy. Yeah right...after I bought the $600 vid card he tells me! :thumbsup:

If you have a ASUS PCI Express mother board then I would wait until I got the ASUS XT800XTPro Platinum PCI Express card before doing anything with the board.

PCI Express is so new, fast, and expensive; I would take my time on this one.

Also, before you do any building I would think about how you are going to cool your computer.

I know this sounds boring but cooling is so important especially to gamers. When you have so much invested cooling seems like the last issue.

It should be the first. If you do create a PCI Express computer don't rely on the manufacture to provide adequate cooling. You will have too.

Let us know,

Junkdk :flowers:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users