Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezing Randomly

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Snake_death2

Snake_death2

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:58 AM

I have this problem for a while now, but now it's worse.
My computer freezes randomly. Normally it was while playing games, taking most out of my computer.
But now even when I'm exploring "My Computer".

I also noticed there's 2 types of freezing I encounter.
1. While playing games, it freezes and it makes a loud, annoying noise until I turn of boxes or headphone, or I restart computer.
2. While doing anything else. No sound is made, and after 5 minutes it most likely stops freezing.

And I think my problem is my external harddrive that's overheating.

The first type I explained doesn't show up in my logs (configuration -> system management -> logs)

The second one does come up and the source is ftdisk OR Tcpip. I'll make a rough translation on what it saids:
"The emptying of the data to the transactionlog has failed. That data could become damaged." for ftdisk and
"TCP/IP has reached the securitylimit of the amount of simultaneous connection attempts." for Tcpip.

Btw, my external harddrive is exactly like this one:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/227/4683639...5007513.jpg?v=0

Ps, does a cooler or fan exist for this one?
Hell was too full so I came back.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:20 AM

Look in the Event Viewer and see what errors are showing up at the time that this is happening. Each error will have its own date and time shown.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow trinangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Please post the error code/s found in the Event column and the descriptions back in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Snake_death2

Snake_death2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:14 PM

Well, it's actually the same thing I said in my first post :thumbsup:
But here are the details:

There are alot of the same kind, this one:
Type: Warning
Event: 57
I don't see the use of me telling time and date, but i'll give an example anyway: 28-7-2008 , 21:59:55 (about 20+ with this time and date).
Discription: The emptying of the data to the transactionlog has failed. That data could become damaged. (rough translation)

Then 3 warnings in a row with some time between them:
Type:Warning Date:28-7-2008 Time:16:38:20 Event:4226
Type:Warning Date:28-7-2008 Time:16:01:58 Event:4226
Type:Warning Date:28-7-2008 Time:15:47:49 Event:4226

Discription:TCP/IP has reached the securitylimit of the amount of simultaneous connection attempts. (this is for all 3)

I also noticed a warning where nothing really happened at the time but I'll give just in case:
Type:Warning Date:27-7-2008 Time:0:41:31 Event:36

I only found 1 error:
Type:Error Date:24-7-2008 Time:18:33:26 Event:55
Discription:The structure of the file system on the disk has been damaged and unusable. Use the aid programme Chkdsk on L: (again, rough translation)

Edited by Snake_death2, 31 July 2008 - 01:20 PM.

#4 greybuffalo

greybuffalo

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:35 PM

Do you have Mcafee Site adviser installed?

#5 Snake_death2

Snake_death2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:53 PM

No I don't.
You think I should install it?

#6 greybuffalo

greybuffalo

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:01 PM

Yes,its o.k for avoiding downloading from dodgy websites,but don't check the box that asks whether they can upgrade any time,because,I did that,and they installed a beta program that made my windows freeze randomly,thats why I asked if you had it.......good luck!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:02 PM

<<Discription:The structure of the file system on the disk has been damaged and unusable. Use the aid programme Chkdsk on L: (again, rough translation)>>

I would interpret that as "Your file system (NTFS) is damaged and unuseable. Run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console. If chkdsk /r doesn't fix it, try a repair install. If the repair install doesn't fix it, prepare for a clean install."

Others may have different interpretations.

Louis

#8 Snake_death2

Snake_death2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:43 PM

I don't know what you mean with a repair install or a clean install. As for chkdsk /r. The only way I know to do that is through cmd, I hope that's the same like Recovery Console.
Chkdsk /r worked without a problem, although I had to force it. (Something of a process using L: that had to be stopped)
Now I'm still waiting for the results. If nothing happens for a week or more, it might be solved.

Edited by Snake_death2, 03 August 2008 - 03:48 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:05 PM

Sooo...do you have the system freezes now?

Louis

#10 Snake_death2

Snake_death2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:30 PM

I haven't had any problems "YET". Let's hope for the best. Although I do think I did that chkdsk thing before...
Oh well, as long as it works.
I can't tell for sure if it works in just a few hours, so if a week has passed without trouble. I'll be almost sure it worked.
But just in case, can you explain me what you mean with that repair install or clean install. If it does happen again, I'd know what to do.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:09 PM

OK :thumbsup:.

A repair install is basically a dump of all the existing Windows system files...and a replacement of those with new system files. A repair install won't help hardware problems or malware situations...it's only useful where (for whatever reason) Windows itself is misbehaving and a lesser attempt at curing...fails.

Chkdsk /r is a lesser attempt to cure system problems...but it's pretty effective in a large number of situations.

A clean install is blowing up the system and starting all over again. Delete existing boot partition, format anew and install XP anew.

The downside to clean installs is that most persons don't seem to backup their systems and seem to want to avoid clean installs at all costs, even if the system isn't accessible or working properly. The idea of losing all their data seems to trouble them.

The upside is that the user gets a clean slate, a second chance to do all the things regarding maintenance of the system...that he/she should have done the first time.

Some links:

MS, XP Repair Install Procedures - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/EN-US/

Perform a Repair Installation - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...ips/doug92.mspx

TweakXP.com - How To Do a Repair Install of XP - http://www.tweakxp.com/article36955.aspx

Windows XP Professional Repair install from CD - http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/i...dexfullpage.htm

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

XP Clean Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Neither is as complicated as it might read :huh:.

Louis

#12 Snake_death2

Snake_death2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 03:47 AM

Well, I already reinstalled windows XP a few times. Before or after, my computer freezed when it felt like it...
Maybe I can delete that partition L: ? Would it solve my problem?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:58 AM

<<Maybe I can delete that partition L: ?>>

I have no idea what you are referring to or talking about.

<<Would it solve my problem?>>

If you are asking me if deleting a partition is going to stop system problems...I don't think so. It would not normally be one of my attempted solutions.

Louis

#14 Snake_death2

Snake_death2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 03:25 PM

So what you're saying is that my harddrive isn't the problem, but windows itself?
Btw, this afternoon my computer freezed again.
I also noticed it freezes when I leave it alone for a while. Like when I wait for nero to finish. (Don't worry, it's legal use of nero :thumbsup:)

Edited by Snake_death2, 04 August 2008 - 06:50 AM.

#15 Snake_death2

Snake_death2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 02:33 PM

(It seems I have no other option left except to doublepost if I want an answer.)
So, my computer still freezes, chkdsk doesn't work.
Btw, does it do any good if I backup now since I don't have any backups?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users