Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cuil Vs Google

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:40 AM

I thought I had seen a topic here, but searching for it didnt bring any results.

Welcome to Cuil—the world’s biggest search engine. The Internet has grown. We think it’s time search did too.
The Internet has grown exponentially in the last fifteen years but search engines have not kept up—until now. Cuil searches more pages on the Web than anyone else—three times as many as Google and ten times as many as Microsoft.

http://www.cuil.com/info/

I did a search for "Gerhard Schröder" and must say that I received different results to what German press has been claiming to find. This might be because this work pc is in English language.

What I particularly like is the layout and the lack of advertisements and falsified results, as well as the "explore by category." Nothing is more of a pain than searching for something and receiving two pages worth of price comparisons and test results, when you are actually looking for something else.

I believe that it is not anywhere near a competition to Google though, but rather a niche search engine if you are looking for specific things and want to find it fast (ie Educational reasons). Doing my Research for the HJT work, probably wouldnt be a too good idea as its algorithm aims at a different angle of searching.

YoHi

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 907 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:17 AM

Great find! Thank you Yourhighness :thumbsup: .

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:23 AM

I am currently giving it a trial run. Considering the kinds of topics for which I generally search, it is someone too early to compare with Google. I think the subject matter might make a difference.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 907 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:31 AM

Mmm, jgweed may be right. A search for "existentialist alienation" has no results, while google has 120. :thumbsup:

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:12 AM

Mmm, jgweed may be right. A search for "existentialist alienation" has no results, while google has 120. :flowers:

Are you making a judgement on a new Search Engine,after one search?
The normal subject searches,I have made,have provided useful links.
I am impressed,so far,and it will get better with time. :thumbsup:

#6 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 907 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:20 AM

Are you making a judgement on a new Search Engine,after one search?

No, just making a sarcastic comment about jgweed's 'high brow' material, while the rest of us mere mortals are down in the gutter looking for trash topics. :thumbsup:

#7 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:24 AM

Tried it yesterday. Clearly has a long way to go but that is expected. :thumbsup:

#8 Bernie K.

Bernie K.

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:20 PM

I've been using it off & on for two days and it appears to find results a lot faster than google but, I can't get use to the page format. Its too early to make a judgement; I will give it a fair evaluation.

Edited by Bernie K., 01 August 2008 - 06:21 PM.

Freedom is not FREE
Semper Fi

#9 tossy

tossy

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:20 AM

Good find........... very useful!

#10 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:16 AM

it's good, but the one thing I miss is speed. when i search i don't like wasting anytime at all. i just want to be able to type in a site, type in my query, and hit enter. and BAM! :thumbsup: Instant Gratification.

#11 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:56 PM

I like it and the magazine format, It will be a keeper for me although It's not everything it will be yet. :thumbsup:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#12 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 05:31 PM

Never heard of it till now, ill see how it goes.

#13 afma142

afma142

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

I thought cuil was overrated. the results I received were not as relevant as googles... plus I hate their block result display style.
I use a Toshiba Satellite A215-S4747, 2 gigs crucial ram, Dual Core AMD Turion 64 X2 1.8 GHz , 200 GB HD, 15.4" Display
electronics for sale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users