Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive, ghost and security?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 16 April 2005 - 05:53 AM

i have been trying to buy an external hard drive,either a western digitla or a Maxtor II series which has a new feature "Drive Lock" to work when the Maxtor is stolen, I can't find out anymore information on it other ant it is a port lock that you have to fasten a kensington device to and it did not say which one.

I need an external hard drive to Ghost the image of my notebook Intel pentium 4, 40 gigs, xp, 512 RAN, 1.9 ghz.

I need to secure the hard drive as it has personal files and work files and I can't have the drive stolen.
I keep coming up against problems indicating that if I secure the Drive and all that I have been able to find is encryption that my Symnatec Ghost Boot Disk which recognizes the usb 2.0 external drive will not be able to access the Ghost Image on my hard drive if my notebook crashes as it can't get into the hard drive because it is incrypted.

i have been looking for any security device on the net apart from encryption as I thought there might be a password program where after the hard drive boot i would put in the password for the hard drive and if it was in the hands of another person they would have to figure it out.
But there seems to be only the encryption option which simply will not fix my problem.

Thus I am asking if anyone knows of a way to secure an external drive and get to the Ghost Image via a Ghost disk that recognizes the hard drive and then restore the notebook if it crashes?

I hope that I have made this clear.

I look forward to comments.

Thankyou. The matter is urgent as I am supposed to get this Ghost Image onto an external drive.

Again i hope some one out there can help.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:26 AM

Can you encrypt the sensitive data on your notebook?
That way you can Ghost an image to a normal external hard drive in a recoverable form but the sensitive information is secure.

Just a thought.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 16 April 2005 - 07:17 AM

My problem is the whole ghost image is mostly all work sensitive data and that is why I was hoping to find a program that didn't require encryption.

Also, a thought came across my mind; do you think that since the external drives are becoming less expensive and are hotter sellers now; and as I have discovered in my checking out 6 retailers in person and 10 OEM type sellers over the phone (from our local computer newspaper) that they are getting many, many queries like mine; that perhaps the external hard drives may come out with something in the not to distant future that deals with this issue.
Especially since technology is constantly changing.
Just thought that I would add that comment.

Regards and again look forward to further dialogue, thankyou
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users