Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstallation Help

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 unpaidassassin

unpaidassassin

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:21 AM

Two month ago my computer's hard drive crashed, potentially losing everything i had on it. Anyway last week I had time to come out and purchase a new hard drive. I installed the drive and it was fine.

My computer is a Dell Dimension E510. I used the reinstallation disk (dvd) labeled "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Version 2005 with Update Rollup 2"

I was able to get Windows back up and installed my Linksys wireless adapter so I could get to the Internet on my computer (and not use my family's).

While online I noticed that I could not see video, so I had to install Adobe's Flash player.

Anyway on to the main concern.

I am unsure of what drivers I need to install. Looking at at the "Device Manager", it appears that the "Other devices" is in question.
There are five items in the category all which have yellow question marks and an exclamation mark:
"Ethernet Controller"
"PCI Device"
"PCI Modem"
"Video Controller"
"Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Also when I go to "Sounds and Audio devices" in Control Panel, I can not play any of the sounds under the "Sound" tab. Also the "Volume" tab does not allow me to adjust the volume (it's grayed out) but this may be because I do not have the speakers plugged in and I also have headphones plugged in. When I got this computer a while ago, I eventually unhooked the speakers and just used headphones.

So I at least know sound/audio drivers are some drivers I need.

I am in desperate need of assistance. Once everything for the most part is resolved and all the drivers, etc are located, I will copy the drive .exe files and any other important things on to a flash drive. Then I will once again reinstall Windows then install the drivers again just to make sure I start out fresh.

Edited by unpaidassassin, 29 July 2008 - 12:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:28 AM

Normally Dell computers come with a Drivers and Utilities CD, which should contain all the drivers you need.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 unpaidassassin

unpaidassassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:35 AM

When I got this computer about 3 years ago, it came with no cds/dvds or anything. A few weeks after my hard drive failed, i contacted Dell and they sent me a reinstallation disk. In all I received 4 disks:

the Reinstallation DVD
a roxio CREATOR cd
a cd "For Reinstalling Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.0"
a cd "For Reinstalling Dell Tools System Software"

I already popped the last one in but nothing. it also lists on the disk Contents:
Antivirus software
Support software
Multimedia software
Internet software

so basically nothing really useful to me

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:46 AM

Have a look here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 unpaidassassin

unpaidassassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:16 AM

I already checked there and am not sure if I should download everything? I downloaded one of the audio ones, the Creative Labs driver but it was unable to install..something about the product not being found?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:23 AM

Try the Chipset one first and then check the Device Manager to see what problems are remaining.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 unpaidassassin

unpaidassassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:08 PM

The chipset one was the first one I tried before coming here. It installed fine and nothing happened.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:31 PM

I think it's best to tackle these one at a time.

Find one of the problem devices in the device manager, right click on it and select Properties, then click on the Details tab, then on Hardware ID in the dropdown box. It should be in this format "PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_40090070&REV_01"

Post back what you find.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 unpaidassassin

unpaidassassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:52 PM

Well this is what I see in the Device Manager. Everything else does not have any yellow mark.

Posted Image

The Ethernet Controller:

Posted Image

The PCI Device:

Posted Image

The PCI Modem:

Posted Image

The Video Controller:

Posted Image

The Video Controller (VGA Compatible):

Posted Image

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:58 PM

The first one is an Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection. You can find the driver under Network on the Dell driver website I linked to earlier.

Install this one and let us know how it goes.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 unpaidassassin

unpaidassassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:36 PM

Ah Network Connections popped up. i was wondering why i couldn't find it even though my Internet is via a wireless network adapter.

The Ethernet Controller is no longer shown now.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:47 PM

The PCI Modem one is an Intel 537EP V.92 (PCI) modem. You can find it under Communication.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 unpaidassassin

unpaidassassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:57 PM

That seems to have solved something.

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:10 PM

The last one is an Intel Integrated Graphics Device, but I'm not sure which one. There are two different Intel drivers under Video. I would suggest you try the 82945 G Express one.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 unpaidassassin

unpaidassassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:27 PM

I installed the express one and both Video Controller and Video Controller (VGA Compatible) are gone from there. This was before I restarted the computer and upon restart, I noticed the screen res had changed to the max so I guess it worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users