Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Desktop Icons

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 auburndragon

auburndragon

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:15 AM

Hi. I'm running xp home on my desktop, and I accidently removed an update that I shouldn't have and now I get nothing on restart except wallpaper. I tried new task explorer.exe in taskbar and got message that explorer had experienced problems and needs to shut down. I ended the task and tried again to no avail. I've tried to start in safe mode via f8, but only get option of what to boot first-- no option to start in safe mode. I've booted my os disc this way, as well as putting the disc in after wallpaper is up -- no luck. I have no start menu to go to run, and I don't know how to get to bios or if there is even anything that can be done there. What should I do? :thumbsup:
running xp home on custom pc w/ pentium 4

"come to the dark side: we have cookies."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:27 AM

Try to run the System File Checker.

Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up the Task Manager. Then go File > Run and type "sfc /scannow".

If may ask for your XP CD.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 auburndragon

auburndragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:49 AM

thanks. Tried it, but got 'windows cannot find 'sfc/scannow' etc... any other ideas?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:56 AM

It is important to have a space between the "c" and the "/" when you type "sfc /scannow".
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 auburndragon

auburndragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:15 AM

Cool. That started the file protection program. It's not recognizing my xp cd though, it says 'files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM now.'

I've tried using the cd in both my cdr and dvd rom drives with the same result, retried and again same. Any other suggestions?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:21 AM

You could try doing a repair install of Windows. You'll need to be able to boot off the CD.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 auburndragon

auburndragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:53 AM

Thanks for the link. I read the instructions and I think I need to get some sleep before trying this. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. Have a good night/day, and thanks again!

auburndragon --

#8 auburndragon

auburndragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:38 AM

O.k, I went to the reccomended site, and I can't do what they are telling me. I can't get the menu for my xp disc to come up. I start up the computer, press f8 during startup, get the question of where to boot from and select disc, press a key when it says to do so, but I still get only wallpaper up -- the disc options do not appear for me to select anything. Since the computer was not acknowledging my OS disc in the drive during the last thing you suggested do you think that maybe my disc is bad? Or my drives are not working properly?

I figured out how to get into safe mode via the task manager, but explorer still closes immediately on startup -- leaving me with a black screen that says 'safemode' in all four corners. Any suggestions?

Edited by auburndragon, 29 July 2008 - 03:07 PM.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:35 PM

See if you can boot your computer using a UBCD. That will tell you if the problem is with your XP CD or your computer.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 auburndragon

auburndragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:08 PM

That didn't work either. Should I try contacting Microsoft? Do they provide any tech support for their programs? I'm getting really frustrated with this. I think I deleted part of explorer, and I don't know how to get it back!!! Any other suggestions?

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:30 PM

If your computer won't boot from your XP CD or the UBCD then you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS to enable booting from a CD.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users