Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Vista Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CapitalG

CapitalG

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:46 PM

This started recently, it seems like every so often while i'm on firefox, or sometimes just when i'm playing music, my pc locks up and if there is any sound playing it will repeat it in a loop, the mouse will become very sluggish and jerky, and i can't ctrl+alt+delete or anything, for about 10-20 seconds. I haven't really had any major changes to my PC lately, i only recently installed Lavasoft Personal Firewall, but it doesn't seem to help it's happened even when i've had the firewall cut off. Also, i booted up vista the other day and my task manager bar was not working, i could alt+tab to the tasks easy but they were not on the bar at the bottom, had to restart and then it worked fine again. Any suggestions as to what could cause these problems? I've ran AVG 8.0 2-3 times this week no infections, ran ad-aware as well, same deal, defragged last week but disk was reported as being "fine" and didn't have to defrag.

Running windows vista 32 Bit.

I just checked on this problem a little more, apparently it only happens when UAC tries to block me from doing something, everytime the UAC popup comes up asking if i want to allow a program to do something my PC loops sound and the mouse gets sluggish for a few secs.

Edited by CapitalG, 28 July 2008 - 11:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:16 PM

Hi CapitalG, welcome to BC. :huh:

I just checked on this problem a little more, apparently it only happens when UAC tries to block me from doing something

Unfortunetly my only suggestion would be to disable it. If you are admin on that system (but not the only user) and practice good security, this would be the prefered way.

#3 CapitalG

CapitalG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:33 PM

Seems to be this was the beginning of all my problems, earlier today i booted my comp and windows wouldn't start.... had to verify all the startup processes, and repair them and what not. I have no idea what is going on, i haven't ran a registry cleaner or anything lately, and it just seems things are going haywire with my comp, random lockups as stated above, sometimes i lose pretty much all internet connectivity then a few mins later it works fine, sometimes i'll go from 600-800kb/s d/l speed to like 82kb/s i've used TCP/IP optimizer in the past, it seemed to do little to nothing though, haven't used it lately so i don't know why my internet started bugging out as well. Disabled my UAC today it's terrible in vista 32bit, sometimes it takes upwards to 2 minutes before the UAC notification comes up when i launch a program. Anyways, do you guys and gals know of any sort of windows registry scanner/file scanner or something of the sort, something that checks for registry errors and missing or corrupted system files etc. Thanks a ton in advanced for any additional replies!

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:17 AM

Go into the control panel and click on the Administrative tools. Check your Memory and Reliability and Performance.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:47 AM

I would recommend you run diagnostics on your comp focussing on these:

- Hard Drive
- CPU/Processor
- Memory
- Disk Controllers

You should have a diagnostics disk from your computer manufacturer to run these tests, if not, ask them for one or go to their website, enter your model number and download the utilities. You will probably need to burn it to a CD from an ISO image.

After that, check to see if there is a BIOS update. Also, update drivers for your:

- chipset
- Hard Disk Controllers
- Network Adapters

Finally, run chkdsk /f /r on each of your drivers (partitions). For your Vista partition, you will be asked to reboot to do this. Make sure you backup critical files first.

For good measure, clean out all your temporary files & junk files from your computer and defrag your hard drive.

Let us know what happens.
Good luck. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users