Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Error After Sp3, Now I Can't Get Into Windows

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AngryDonkey

AngryDonkey

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:53 PM

I've been working through recovery console to repair shell32.dll errors, finally get the login screen, but can't get into windows b/c my keyboard and mouse are dead.

I have my recovery discs but since i uninstalled nero my drive can not read dvds, just cds. Been working on this for 3 days with little sleep, trying to get the boot to recognize my touchpad driver.

here's a link to my previous hijack this log from when the system was nice....well i'll post it if u ask. Its an HP Pavillion Media Center edition 6000v

if anyone could walk me through installing a keyboard driver from a boot disk i'd appreciate it.

I'm going insane here, and even if i ordered the windows xp installation disc from HP, chances are i couldn't read it from disk.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:50 PM

If you can get into Safe Mode try running the System File Checker (SFC).

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 AngryDonkey

AngryDonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:36 PM

I can get into Safe Mode fine, but no keyboard or mouse so can't login to even get to a command prompt. :thumbsup:

I'm going to try to get a media center boot bisk...but unless it has XP keyboard/mouse driver on it probably won't matter.

I can't get into the recovery files outside of windows, and i can't run factoryrestore disks without DVD capability...

I had a bunk copy of windows on F: drive after restore, didn't have a F drive before. Getting rid of that seems to have fixed my registry errors, but I'm thinking maybe the touchpad update i installed after sp3 is not recognized after a (almost) restore to SP2.

I've run diagnostics check from bios, and chkdsk from recovery console, but I don't know how to even access SFT without being able to login to windows, due to my XP not booting the proper drivers (I think). However i get no errors....just no keyboard or mouse.

I think i'm close can someone pls help? :Dl

Edited by AngryDonkey, 28 July 2008 - 10:43 PM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:43 PM

If you boot into the BIOS does your keyboard work then?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 AngryDonkey

AngryDonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:48 PM

Yes, the keyboard functions fine in bios and in recovery console...

The mouse works when i try to factory restore, but i have a missing recovery.log (even tho there is 8 of them)

I'm fairly certain the problem lies with xp, but am a novice at installing things outside of windows.

Thanks for the effort tho ;p

These recovery disks should really be bootable, i managed to copy my recovery disk 1 on to a usb drive, which read the data fine, but its not bootable :thumbsup:

Edited by AngryDonkey, 28 July 2008 - 10:50 PM.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:56 PM

You might need to enable booting from a CD in the BIOS.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 AngryDonkey

AngryDonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:18 AM

Yah, thanks for the tip...but had it set already. Ending up wiping the hard disk due to neverending registry errors, now i can't find a couple of drivers for XP, HP has no support for XP....very lame.

So maybe move this, or close it and I make another. It seems like everyone's having problems with these dv6000 drivers for XP, tho....so it may not help. I had to assemble the drivers i have from 3-4 different HP models, its a bit of the needle in the haystack.....just wish I could find the one for my graphics card. :thumbsup:

Oh, and sorry for the late reply, I had only a PS3 to use at the time, and typing is hell without a keyboard.

Thanks for your efforts tho, budapest. :D

Edited by AngryDonkey, 04 August 2008 - 06:20 AM.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:31 PM

Check your devices in Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Look for any "!", "?" or "X" symbols.

If you find any, right click on them and select Properties, then click on the Details tab, then on Hardware ID in the dropdown box. It should be in this format "PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_40090070&REV_01"

Post what you find back here.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:46 PM

have you tried using a ps/2 keyboard? some comptuers/bios/what not might not like usb, or so I have heard.
Posted Image

#10 AngryDonkey

AngryDonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:53 AM

Yah, after wiping drive the keyboard works fine, its not a usb.

I'm missing one driver, here's the device instance id. Some of the others may not be working, but at least they seem to be compatible.

ACPI\HPQ0006\4&38462492&0

That seems to be the only noncompatible one. I have access to my brother's pc, which is the exact same model as mine, but don't know which driver i need to copy.

Thanks.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:13 AM

That device appears to be an Intel® 82801GBM (ICH7-M/U) LPC Interface Controller
I would suggest that you get the exact model number of your system (instructions here: http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support/prod_info.html ) and then download the IntelŪ Chipset Software Installation Utility from the HP website for your model (you can enter the model number here: http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/suppor...Display=drivers )

You "may" be able to use the download from the Intel site here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...on&lang=eng
But, it doesn't list your exact chipset. So I'd guess that it'd work, but there's no assurance that it will.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 AngryDonkey

AngryDonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:23 AM

I tried the Intel link, it seemed like it was installing a few drivers, but after reboot the yellow mark on device manager remains. I have already tried the hp recommended driver for my pc, but it didn't work. Seems like their XP driver support is in the dumps. Its a dv6108nr model.

How essential is this driver anyways? My computer seems to be running fine. I'd like to finish up all the drivers, but I don't know if its worth installing every one again after having to use a restore point (which I'm rather nervous about using)

:D

Edited by AngryDonkey, 08 August 2008 - 10:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users