Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Dvd Driveve Not Found. Why?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 elinatim

elinatim

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:14 PM

(Sorry about the misspelling in the subject line. Apparently, I can't edit that.)

My rebuilt Dell Optiplex GX110 has a Samsung SN-124 compact CD drive. I decided to upgrade it with a rebuilt Sanyo SN-308 DVD RW drive.

With the DVD RW drive physically connected in place of the CD drive, I get an error message on startup. Something about a secondary hard drive not found or not available. Then I see "Press F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup utility." When I go into BIOS, the DVD shows as an unknown drive. I checked to make sure that the drive type was set to "AUTO."

I double checked all my connections, took the computer apart and put it back together, then restarted...several times. I cannot see the DVD in Windows Explorer or Device Manager. I tried adding new hardware, and was unable to locate it...just as if it were completely absent.

The drive powers up and spins. The IDE cable is the same one that the CD drive used. Since this is actually a laptop drive, there is no jumper.

I disconnected the DVD and reconnected the CD drive, and everything works fine, except that there is no DVD drive.

Edited by elinatim, 29 July 2008 - 10:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:15 PM

Is there more than the one device on the IDE cable, if so, how do you have the jumper set?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:27 PM

As nearly as I can tell, the IDE cable goes directly from the motherboard to the drive. In any case, there is no jumper. It's a laptop-sized drive.

Edited by elinatim, 28 July 2008 - 08:28 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:50 PM

The jumper that I'm referring to is on the rear of the drive. There are three settings, Master, Slave, and Cable Select.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:01 PM

Okay. I am accustomed to finding jumpers on full-size drives. If I remember correctly, what I am looking for is a small, rectangular object, usually insulated in white plastic, that rests on pins in the back of a drive. The jumper's orientation determines whether the drive is set up as a master, a slave, or a CS. Is that right?

The drive in question is a slimline drive, made to fit in a laptop. Dell put one of these into the Optiplex desktop PC to save space. As far as I can tell, there is nothing resembling a jumper on this drive. The drive fits into a slim metal case that snaps into the PC case before the lid goes on. On the back of this case, there are three cable connections: an IDE connection, a power connection, and a connection I am not familiar with. I do not see anything that I recognize as a jumper. Perhaps if you could post a picture, I could figure out what I need to look for.

Please note that I really do not know much about this drive. I usually work with full-size components.

Edited by elinatim, 28 July 2008 - 09:02 PM.

#6 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:04 PM

I am looking for firmware on it now. Could that be the problem?

From another forum: "These laptop CD drives may not have physical jumpers. The setting of Master / Slave drive "jumper" is done electronically within the drive's firmware."

Edited by elinatim, 29 July 2008 - 10:49 AM.

#7 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:23 PM

Well, I hope I haven't made matters worse. I downloaded a firmware update from driverguide, but when I tried to run it, I got the same error: Drive not found.

I think the problem IS that the old drive was configured (by firmware) as a master. This one seems to be a slave (or perhaps it's the other way around :thumbsup: ). Does anyone have a fix for me, short of cutting a cable (ala http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/ide-cable-select.html)?

Edited by elinatim, 28 July 2008 - 11:29 PM.

#8 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:23 AM

Progress: I went and got a single IDE cable, connected it to one of the motherboard connections, then put the first (middle) connector into the DVD drive and the end connector into the hard drive. When I booted, the DVD drive showed up in BIOS as "CD Rom Reader." The hard drive showed as an "Unknown Device." Huh?

I think that this means that I was right about the DVD being configured as a slave.

Edited by elinatim, 29 July 2008 - 10:50 AM.

#9 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:39 AM

I FIXED IT!!!!!
(Victory Dance) :thumbsup:

Since the new drive is configured as a slave, I just removed the old IDE cable and replaced it with one that has a connector for a slave and a connector for a master. I connected the new DVD drive as a slave, and Voila! Problem solved.

All day to solve such a simple problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users