Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor For Photographer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jlstep

jlstep

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:30 PM

Hello-

I currently use a Dell Latitude D 610. Its a little outdated but does well with the programs I currently use. The only gripe I have is the monitor: it doesn't allow for any control over color and my photos never print the same as they look on screen. So I'm looking for a new monitor to plug into this laptop. I've done several searches online to try and determine what I need but haven't really found much useful information. Can anyone here direct me towards a monitor that has great color and will allow for color callibration? I'm hoping to find one that is under $500. Under $300 would be even better.

Thanks so much!

Jennifer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:25 PM

Check these out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824116060

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824001268

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:08 PM

You will still be somewhat limited by the onboard video
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 jlstep

jlstep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:39 PM

What do you mean by "onboard video"? My current video card? Do I need to upgrade that too?

#5 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:36 AM

What do you mean by "onboard video"? My current video card? Do I need to upgrade that too?

What kind of video card are you currently using?

The answer to that question could be "yes" depending on a variety of factors, including the maximum resolution supported by the graphics card.

Edited by aommaster, 29 July 2008 - 05:36 AM.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:00 AM

Unless I'm looking at a different Dell Latitude D610, you have a laptop with onboard video. No video card
I've could be mistaken
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:27 AM

Hello jlstep,

You might also want to look at the (free) Color Control Panel Applet in Microsoft's PowerToys for Windows XP. I haven't used it, but you may find it useful:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloa...ppowertoys.mspx

Color Control Panel Applet

Professional-level photographers and designers know that getting consistent, accurate color from file to screen to print and beyond is a requirement for great results. This new tool helps you manage Windows color settings in one place.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:06 AM

Thanks for posting that M. I've recommended that link before, but it slipped my mind
Mark
Posted Image

#9 jlstep

jlstep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:01 PM

Unless I'm looking at a different Dell Latitude D610, you have a laptop with onboard video. No video card
I've could be mistaken

Shows what I know! Maybe that's why the attached monitor has NO options for tweaking color etc. If I don't have a video card do I have to have one installed in order to plug in an external monitor? In which case is it better to just upgrade to a laptop that has a video card and a monitor with good color control?

M......thanks for the link. I did check it out and I'll probably download it. I don't quite understand what its going to do for me but looks like its worth experimenting with.

Thanks to all for the help :thumbsup:

Jennifer

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:55 PM

According to Dell, that has an internal video chip with only 64mb of dedicated memory. You cannot add a video card to it. A new monitor isn't really going to help. Newer laptops now have the option to choose the amount of RAM you want to allocate for the video chip, in the BIOS. Of course if you max that out it would also be advisable to max out the system RAM. A few laptops now come with a removable video card. The only trouble with that is there is not a whole lot of after-market video cards yet

Edited by garmanma, 29 July 2008 - 02:56 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#11 jlstep

jlstep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:54 PM

Wow, that's great information. Thanks for saving me from wasting my time looking for a monitor. I'll move on to plan B...once i figure out what that is!

Jennifer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users