Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Memory Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eggplant

eggplant

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:18 PM

I have a Systemax desktop that I installed 4GB of PNY 184-Pin SDRAM, DDR400 (PC3200) Dual Channel memory purchased from NewEgg. Windows only recognizes 3.25GB. After moving the "sticks" around, I didn't get a change. This memory is all new, the original 1GB was removed and set aside. So, we're working with brand new memory here. All four available slots have the same part number installed. MoBo is a Microstar K8N Neo4. What am I missing here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:17 PM

Someone correct me If I am wrong but if your computer is using Windows XP, then that is the case. Windows XP only recognizes 3.2Gigs of ram if you install 4GB.

#3 eggplant

eggplant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:57 PM

You,re probably right. I seem to remember something about this limitation with XP. I have XP Pro with SP3 installed. Anyone know about a memory workaround for this so that the machine sees the full 4GB installed?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:19 PM

In 32 bit Windows operating systems, the total addressable space available is 4GB. If you installed total 4GB memory, the system will detect less than 4GB of total memory because of address space allocation for other critical functions, such as:

- System BIOS (including motherboard, add-on cards, etc..)
- Motherboards resources
- Memory mapped I/O
- Configuration for AGP/PCI-Ex/PCI
- Other memory allocations for PCI devices

Different onboard devices and different add-on cards (devices) will result of different total memory size. e.g. more PCI cards installed will require more memory resources, resulting of less memory free for other uses.

Credit must go to this site.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 eggplant

eggplant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:36 PM

Thanks Dr Manhattan & dc 3. Tom's Hardware site has helped me before, there's a wealth of info in there. I hadn't thought to search there. I guess I'll consider myself fortunate that I'm showing 3.25GB of 4.0 installed. Others apparently don't get as much in some cases. I'll be happy with what I've got, or go kick rocks. Thanks to both of you for your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users