Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power supply or something else?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gus1

Gus1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 15 April 2005 - 10:48 PM

Gday

I have a Gigabyte p4 titan series with a agp8x/dual chan ddr motherboard (well thats what it says on the manual anyways - it also says "ga-8s655fx ultra" if that is any help)

anyway, i've had the computer for about a year and never had any troubles with it before, but i turned it on the other day and it wouldnt boot up, wouldnt even turn the screen on. The LED at the front was dim and red (it's usually green) and it was giving a short continuous beep. I opened the case up and i saw that the RAM LED was flashing continuously amber in time with the beeping. And then when i tried to turn it off, it wouldnt turn off unless i physically pulled the plug out..

So i looked in the manual and on the internet and asked some people and all things pointed to a fault in the power supply.. so i went and bought a new power supply yesterday and put it in, but it didnt help! still beeping and still flashing amber and still wont turn off without pulling the plug..

i am at a loss! has anyone had this happen to them before? any idea what it could be?

any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers
gus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2005 - 11:38 PM

Dear Gus,

This has happened to me and it was a seating problem. Something is probably loose.

Go into the computer and reseat everything. Since you are in there, might as well do some cleaning as well.

On the bad side, it could be your video card.

I had a video card go out once. I turn on the computer and all I get is beeps.
Do the fans turn on?

Still it could be a seating issue.

Good Luck :thumbsup: ,

Junkdk
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 Gus1

Gus1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2005 - 12:28 AM

The fans do come on, i will check how everything sits and see if i can find another video card to do a test with..

thanks for the help

cheers

gus

#4 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:21 PM

Dear Gus,

How much ram do you have? If you have more than one stick. Try removing them and place one back in to see if any change.

This is just in case your ram is acting funny.

Let us Know,

Junkdk
Your Hardware Guide.

#5 Gus1

Gus1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:13 PM

Gday

i have one stick of ram that is 512 meg, so i cant really try that!

I opened it up and gave it all a good clean and checked all the seating for every component and everything seemed fine, but it still didnt work!!

i have no idea what could be wrong with it...

oh well

cheers

gus

#6 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:50 PM

Dear Gus,

Did you change out the vid card?

Let us know,

Junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#7 Gus1

Gus1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:23 AM

I havent changed the video card since i got it - my dad might have a spare one that i can chuck in to test though...might try this weekend!

sorry its taken me so long to reply - but i dont have a computer at home anymore!!

cheers
gus

#8 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:50 AM

Dear Gus,

No problem. We don't sleep here...

Let us know,