Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall Problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:43 AM

Hi,

I just had tried to turn my firewall on but it did not get on leaving me a message that says exactly like:

"Windows firewall settings can not be displayed because the associated service is not running.Do you want to start windows firewall/internet connection sharing service?yes or no

If I press yes, it says "windows can not start windows firewall/ICS service?

Thanks for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:59 AM

Hi there! Can you tell me what operating system you are running? XP/Vista etc..

#3 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:24 PM

I'm using xp pro.
I have just done some of the possible solutions from microsoft website like creating sharedaccess.reg and merging to registry,calling "Setup API InstallHinfSection" function to install Windows Firewall.But none of them seems to have it solved.When I called installhinfsection, there was a rundll error that says "error in setupapi,missing entry:installhinfsection"
I'm no clear with this,do I have to search for this file since this seems not to be found?Thanks a lot.

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:17 AM

Ok, let's try this. Go to start > run and copy and paste next command in the field:

NETSH FIREWALL RESET

Click ok

Wait till the Dosprompt (black window) closes again.
Then look if you can access the firewall settings again.

Go to start > run and copy and paste next command in the field:

services.msc

Search in the list for Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) <== if this isn't present, let me know.

Click "stop" there.
click OK and close the window.

Then go back to your Controlpanel and click: Windows Firewall
You should get an error then.. telling you that the service Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is disabled/stopped and if you want to enable/start it.
Click Yes/ok
So the service should be started again and you will be able to change settings in it.

I want to repieat this step, just in case something went wrong before..

Download this regfix:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/sharedaccess.reg
Place it on your desktop.
Now doubleclick sharedaccess.reg
Ckick yes/ok at the prompt.

Then REBOOT!! Important!

After reboot, go to start > run and copy and paste next command in the field:

NETSH FIREWALL RESET

Click ok

Wait till the Dosprompt (black window) closes again.
Then look if you can access the firewall settings again and turn it on.

#5 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:11 PM

Thanks D-Trojanator,for the above suggestion.Still,I could not get rid of the issue after following and repeating the steps.
Under services.msc, windows firewall/ICS' status is set to stopped.If I set it to started, there comes an information box saying apparently one of the dependancy service that windows firewall/ICS is using has either been marked for deletion or does not exist(ERROR 1075).
I even tried to reinstall XP on top of the current OS but the problem is still there.

#6 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:32 AM

Do you have your original XP installation disks?

#7 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:37 AM

Yes, in fact,I have ran it twice now.It ran through my mind that it can be bad install.I searched for the solutions from those who had the same situation however they all failed to see the right solution.
I already tried to reset winsock and delete dependOnService entry in the sharedaccess folder under registry to no effect.
If I click on the dependencies tab of windows firewall/ICS under services.msc, I would get a response that class is not registered. Thanks for the response.

#8 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:42 AM

Good. I remember having a very similar problem with the windows firewall before, and a repair install (not a reformat, was able to fix it. As you have the installation discs, it looks like a good option to try. Firstly you need make your PC start from the CD-ROM drive. Make sure you know which drive the CD's go into, ie D:\ etc

Put the XP CD into the drive now.

Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Delete key as soon as the computer starts, to display the CMOS start-up screen.
Use the arrow keys to highlight BIOS Features Setup, and press Enter.
Press the down arrow to move to the Boot Sequence field.
Press Page Up or Page Down to display the desired boot sequence.
Press Esc to exit the screen.
Highlight Save & Exit Setup, then press Enter.
The new boot sequence is saved and the computer restarts.

When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press enter displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.
Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.
In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Let me know how it goes.. :thumbsup:

#9 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:48 AM

Oh yes and you'll probably want to print off the instructions, you won't be able to access them in the BIOS..

#10 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:13 AM

I appreciate this suggestion.I even tried to repair it using recovery console however, after entering a password, it prompted me that I have invalid password though it was not.I tried it three times until it did not accept anymore.
Could this be associated with the security class that is not present in the registry?

Edited by yethPC, 01 August 2008 - 07:16 AM.

#11 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:21 AM

I think we should check if the RPC service is enabled. If it's not enabled, the windows firewall/ICS will not run, and perhaps mean it's not 'registered'..

So right click on My Computer>Manage>servicies and application>services. Now you will get all the services in right pane then choose RPC in general option you will find startup type. Let me know what it says - if it says it's disabled, change it to 'enabled'.

#12 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:45 PM

I even looked into that (RPC).At that point, I saw all the buttons were disabled and the service was set to automatic. I decided to fix it by running windows installation (upgrade ver) once more.
And at the third time it worked!

Anyways, thanks for helping out , D-Trajanator.

#13 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:43 PM

Fantastic to hear it worked! You're welcome for the help.. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users